72: A Match Made in Fanfiction

Couldn't think of a better chapter title. Anyway...

Summary: Jayson's gaydar — his jaydar(?) — is broken; so is the author's ability to end stories*

*This isn't the last chapter, but it's close.

Butterbeer spilled down Harry's front as he snorted. "You can't be serious?"

Sid beamed. "Very!"

"Well, he doesn't exactly look like your godfather now, does he?" Terry Boot pointed out. Harry swatted at him.

Several of the guys from the D.A. had met up about half an hour ago to catch up on news. Sid had arrived late with his hair singed and a wild look in his eye.

"Haven't you had enough of dragons from the first task?" George asked.

"Haven't I had — no way! I'm gonna ask Charlie if he can be my mentor forever!" He was practically vibrating in his seat.

Harry shook his head in amazement. The limit in which Sid loved dragons knew no bounds. Still. Even two years after they've graduated.

"What a surprise," muttered Ron, though his eyes sparkled with mirth. "You and Charlie got along so quickly."

"Yeah, they did. Should've met earlier if you ask me — hey." Harry caught a glimpse of something flash out of the corner of his eye. He looked at Seamus' hand. "Is that a ring?"

All eyes turned to him.

"Well, it's about time someone noticed," Seamus griped. "I've been waving my arm all evening!"

"Congratulations," said Logan, thumping him on the back. The others echoed his words.

"So who's the lucky person?" asked Jayson.

All eyes turned to him now, but in disbelief.

Jayson looked around. "What?"

"Me..." Dean said slowly.

Jayson blinked once. Then twice. "Wait, you two...?"

"Mate, did you seriously not know?" Ron said.

"Uhhhh... no?"

"We've kissed before," Dean pointed out.

"So have Sid and I," Jayson retorted.

"On the lips?"

"On accident, but yes." Jayson shrugged like it wasn't a big deal.

"Jayson, my friend..." Harry placed a hand on his shoulder. "You're more oblivious than me."

Ron chortled. "Yeah, remember when Logan was trying to ask you out on a date? It was on Valentine's Day and you still didn't get it until he outright asked you."

A pale pink spread over Jayson's face. "Whoops. Sorry, Seamus."

"You're all good," Seamus replied.

It was almost nine o'clock by the time they decided to start heading home. Jayson remained unusually quiet. For all of two minutes.

"How could I not have known?" he burst out. "It's so obvious now! The way they held hands, the looks they gave, how close they sit during meals... How?!"

The whole time he was ranting, he was holding Logan's hand, Logan was gazing at him with such a fondness, and they walked so close their shadows formed one. Harry sighed. Yes, how did he not notice?

"Marry me."

The words were spoken so softly Harry wondered if he had imagined it. He and Ron turned to see Jayson staring up at Logan with wide eyes.