Chapter 18: Truth

Percy's PoV

"Listen to me, mom."

Mom ?
This person doesn't look like any other Nyx child I've ever met. He's calmer. But also more human, less godlike.

"What are you doing?" the boy says.

"I'm killing those demigods! This is the mission we have been given! By the way, I congratulate you on your work, now let me do mine!"

"Precisely, if I stop you, it's because I don't want to. "

"Get out of the way! You've already brought me those demigods, let me finish," Nyx cried, balls of darkness appearing in his hands.

"I won't push myself. If you want to kill them, you'll have to kill me with them. They are my friends."

Friends? Mission? Take us away? Too many questions come into my mind.

"I'm telling you one last time. Move over," Nyx said threateningly.

"And I'm telling you one more time. No."

Nyx uttered a cry of impotent rage.

"Why this sudden change? Why don't you want to finish what was asked of us anymore? PUSH YOU, STANISLAS!" Nyx roared.

And she projected balls of pure energy towards him.
I thought he was finished, that he was going to be reduced to a puddle of shadows, but no.
He stepped forward calmly, raised his hands and grabbed the projectiles. Then he moved his fingers and they evaporated.

"Stanislas, what's this story?" I ask him.
I am shocked. Him, so nice, so calm, manipulating us to bring us here?

"Sorry Percy, I'll explain later. I have to settle a dispute with my mother first."

He walked over to his mother and started talking.
"I know we have a mission. I also know that demigods and gods are our enemies."

"That's right. Then why are you protecting them?" Nyx asked.

"Because I also know that in our family, we are alone. We use each other for purely selfish purposes! The proof, you're being manipulated by Tartarus right now! "

"That's not true! Nobody manipulates me!"
And it triggers a new wave of darkness, but it stops before reaching our level.

"I finally found what I was looking for. I have found friends. People who help each other, who don't just use each other as tools."

Stanislas began to move towards his mother.

"Nonsense! They've turned your brain upside down! I'm going to put it back!" Nyx exclaimed, rushing towards him.

A sword made of shadow appears in his hands, and she makes a sharp movement stopped by water.

NicoDi-Angelo had taken a bottle of water to Tartarus, which I was able to use as a shield to save Stanislas. A simple bottle could be very useful...

"Mom. I found a family. And as you can see, the family protects each other," Stanislas continued, always moving forward.

So she drops the sword and propels new balls of shadows. This time it was Nico who saved him, deflecting the balls with his sword.  Stanislas still doesn't stop walking.

"Mom. This family... you can be a part of it". he ends by stopping in front of his mother.

Nyx's face takes on a suffering expression.
I understand that he has just touched a sore spot. Nyx had never known the love of a real family.

Stanislas then turns to me. In spite of everything, I decide to believe in him, so I will do what he silently asks me to do.

I get up and plant myself in front of Nyx.
"In the end, you were manipulated. I think you can be one of us. It's not too late."

Nyx looks at me intensely.

"In spite of everything I've done?"

"It's not too late to make up for your mistakes."

"I am a primordial. Why should I stand by your side?"

"Because your son advises you to. That's what family is for. Getting us back on the right path."

"Killing you will surely put me back on the right path."

Nyx seems hesitant. She must agree to help us. It's our only chance to get us out of this.

"Besides..." I start, but I stop, pretending to give up. "Nothing, forget it. You'd better kill us."

All look at me without understanding.
But I had a plan. Annabeth had told me how she trapped Arachne. Naive people are often the most curious.

"Besides what, Perseus Jackson?" asks the primordial.

"Nothing, an absurd idea. I thought you would have your place in the tourist route if you helped us, but you'd better kill us. Much simpler. Much faster."

"Do you really think I would have my place? Me?"

Nyx still felt rejected. No one bothered to get to know her. To be the center of attention, even if only on a sightseeing tour, must be something unimaginable for her. To be loved. Respected.

Then a mask of anger passes over his face.
"No, that's impossible. Nobody pays any attention to me. No one knows who I really am. Why should that change?"

"It doesn't. I know who you are." Stanislas intervened.

The face of the goddess becomes pensive.

I take a deep breath.
Either she stands by us, realizing that she is manipulated and that she can be appreciated for what she is.
Or she decides to kill us and in this case... well, in this case, we fight and we have little chance to get out of it.

Don't listen to those demigods, sister. Kill them. Kill them all!

"Tartarus." Nyx recognized.

I know what you're capable of. Fulfill the task I have entrusted to you. You would become feared and respected by the whole world!

"No. I'm not listening to you anymore. Now I'm going to do what I really want. I don't want to be feared, I want to be loved..." -she looks at Stanislas- "... I want a real family."

Well be it, I will do without you! You were always too naive, always believing what you were told! You are so manipulable!

"It's over now." Nyx opens his hands and turns his palms up, then slowly raises his arms.
I feel Tartarus' presence fade away.

"Mother..."

Nyx raises his hand.

"I realize now. I realize what you were telling me, my son."

She turns to me and looks into my eyes.

"As for you, Perseus Jackson, you have opened my eyes to what I really want. That's why I agree to help you this time. "

I bow to her.
"Thank you, Nyx, goddess of the night."

"I will bring you all back to the surface," she said.

"No, you won't."

She looks at me without understanding.

"I will stay. I must find Annabeth."

"You can't save her alone. Give up. Save your life."

"He is not alone. We'll stay with him."
Thomas, Minho, Nico, Newt, and Stanislas stand behind me, a decided expression on their faces.

Nyx looks at us one by one.
"A real family, eh?"

She closed her eyes and disappeared, taking the others with her.

I turn to Stanislas.
"And if you explain to us, Nico and you?"

🔱🔱🔱🔱🔱🔱🔱🔱🔱🔱🔱🔱🔱

hi demigod! 😆
Hope you're doing well!
New chapter, a bit special because a lot of blabla and little action, but necessary to the story.
I hope you liked it anyway! 😁
We're slowly approaching the end, I predict another half dozen or so chapters to get it right, and after this story another one will follow and be the next one! 😉.
See you soon for a new chapter, stay cool demigod.

Word count :
1236