Chapter 52

A/N: FUCK YEAH I DID IT!!!!!!! Ladies and gentlemen, I apologize... but Wattpad literally didn't let me post the chapter, and when I reported the problem, the whole freaking thing just deleted! So, I had to turn right around and rewrite the entire chapter!!! :D

But anyway, the whole situation is dealt with, and I got the chapter out safely! I hope you enjoy the chapter, and I'll see you guys whenever I do the next update!

(Y/N)

Once Oscar knew I would meet him inside shortly after, I turned to look at Tanner, who was still awkwardly avoiding me. His hands were still behind his back, and the look of genuine shame in his expression made me feel a pang of guilt. Taking one more glance around the corner, seeing that Oscar was out of sight, I approached Tanner gingerly.

Before I could even say anything to him, I was startled to see his head shoot up to grimace at me, eyes glazed and breath uneven. "(Y/N), I don't know why I did that I was... I just..." He stammered, blinking rapidly as he tried to make his words comprehendible. "I think there's something wrong with me."

His tone sounded strange. As if there were a deeper meaning behind everything he's doing. I felt a rush of uneasiness and guilt, so I stepped up to Tanner and wrapped my arms around his neck, causing him to flinch. After a short pause, I felt him relax into my embrace, but his hands stayed hanging at his sides until I pulled away, staring up at him.

"Tanner, you of all people should know that there's always been something wrong with you." I told him with a playful smirk. Tanner continued to watch me blankly, and he never did smile back. I sighed, leaning my head against his chest, wanting some form of reaction from him. "You're drunk, Tanner. Just sit with Adam and Clint while I deal with this boy."

This statement seemed to sober Tanner right up. His posture straightened and then shot me a firm glare, hands clenching into fists. "No. I'm staying with you." His voice was stern, and I can't explain why, but it just made me feel as if I were some helpless child. I was suddenly hit with the reality that Tanner's feelings would never be the same as mine. He just saw me as something that belonged to only him.

I measured Tanner's stare, body stiff and ready to pounce, challenging him. When I spoke, I made sure my voice didn't waver in the slightest. I was almost startled by how venomous I sounded in that one moment. "I'm not a child, Tanner. Don't ever forget that." I saw Tanner's expression falter a little, and then I added, "These people won't come near me if you guys hang all over me. I need to be alone."

Tanner persisted, taking a desperate step forward. "But then you'll be in danger! Just because you think differently in this situation doesn't mean you're the most logical." He stopped for a breath, and then added, "I can't let you get hurt. If those bastards touch you, I'll fucking end them."

I scoffed, turning my back to him, arms crossed. "They're going to die anyway, we need to amuse this woman somehow, right?" I glanced at Tanner from over my shoulder, and he didn't look angry, just lost and confused. It was strange, how much he's changed.

In the beginning, Tanner was confident in everything he did. He was always happy, joyful in doing the crimes he did, and didn't care what people thought. He was an unhinged maniac, with a twisted sense of humor and professionalism.

But now, it seems as if he's become more vulnerable, and delusional. He breaks down in anger more often, while saying things without being aware of it. It scares me, how his already fucked up mind, is beginning to deteriorate more and more.

It was in that moment, seeing Tanner's desperation to protect me, his obsession over me, made me think one thing. A single thought, echoing around my seemingly empty mind, blinding any other thoughts being thrown my way.