Chapter 13

Note : Some mild fluff in this chapter, (You're welcome) before the angst starts. Please enjoy 😉

(Y/N)

The next day, I found myself in the hospital room, standing over my brother, still hooked up to those scary looking machines, and still in a deep, dreamless slumber. I had already been there for about an hour, just talking to him, telling him all the stuff I've been through since I moved here.

It was embarrassing to admit, but I told him how terrified I really was. The sarcastic side of me tried to hide it, but I was scared.

"Do you know what it's like when there is a killer out to get you?" I whispered to him, so quiet that the soft beeps of the machine drowned out my voice. "Do you know how it feels, when you know that they are watching you, and can strike at any moment? You can't bear to be alone, because anything can happen."

I knew he couldn't hear me, or say anything to make me feel better, but I had to say it out loud, to get it off my chest. Olivia is still alive, but I feel like I need to distance myself from her, maybe if I stay away from her, then the BlueBlood Killer might leave her alone. She got away once, but just like me when the intruder broke into my house, it's likely that they could come back more prepared.

I sighed, and then I gave my brother's shoulder a little squeeze. "I'm gonna head out, I've got a lot of long ass days ahead of me."

I stood up, gave him one more long look, and then turned to leave.

But when I turned, my face smacked into a person's chest.

I stumbled back a little, while whoever was standing in front of me didn't even budge. Cursing to myself, I glanced up to see Tanner, looking cheerful as always.

"I apologize for not saying anything, (Y/N)." He said with a smile, and dusted off his white suit, the same place where I had bumped into him. "Are you alright?"

I almost forgotten about him, and our little talk yesterday. He had asked me out to dinner, right?

I stumbled over my own words for a minute, not sure how to act around this man. Was he trying to be my friend? Or was he just being friendly because of my brother?

"No... Ah! I mean yes! yeah..."

My voice trailed off after I realized how idiotic I sounded, but Tanner only giggled, his eyes shining with glee, which I found a bit overwhelming. I know a lot of people who are optimistic about everything, but this 28 year old (or even a bit older) man has the spirit of a literal child, yet he's so sophisticated and mature at the same time.

His whole demeanor and attitude both charms and intimidates me.

"I couldn't help but think about yesterday, and I was curious if you still wanted to join me for lunch today. Like I offered before, it's still on me."

He said it so casually, disregarding the awkwardness of me getting a face full of his chest just seconds before.

I felt so on the spot. Mainly because I was so confused about his sudden interest in me, even though we've only talked once.

But then I thought about how alone I was right now. Besides receiving help from Thomas, and him risking his badge to let me help catch the BlueBlood Killer, and Olivia, who has a full time job during the weekdays.

I felt so numb and heavy about everything. I basically had nobody else at this point.

So, I drew in a breath, and gave the strange doctor a little smile. "How can I say no to free food?"