Chapter 46

Tanner

Age 12 :

I lowered my camera, watching the photo come into view as (Y/N) spun around in circles on her front porch, both arms sticking straight out. I grinned, imagining myself next to her as she laughed to herself after falling down.

But, I was hit with a wave of sadness, when I realized we couldn't hang out anymore. I still watched her from a distance every chance I got. I was pretty lucky that I hadn't been caught yet. I was currently tucked away in a bush, so there was no way (Y/N) could see me.

My mind was plagued with the fact that (Y/N)'s birthday was next week. Before she told me that we couldn't be friends anymore, she had invited me to it, and I was overjoyed.

But now I couldn't. So now I would just have to watch her party play out from far away.

Suddenly, the sight of someone walking up (Y/N)'s porch made me freeze. My heart started pounding, as I saw my friend smile and wave to the person. It was a girl, with frizzy red hair. She was the same age as (Y/N), and my mouth fell open in disbelief as that girl wave back.

She... has a new friend?

I leaned further out of the bush, now scowling at the girl who wrapped her arms around (Y/N), giving her a hug. I felt a pang of anger and hurt in my chest, and it only grew even stronger when I heard their conversation.

"Hey, Scarlett!" (Y/N) exclaimed happily. "I'm happy you decided to come!"

The girl, Scarlett, grinned excitedly, and said, "Of course! Also, about your birthday party invitation... my mom said she would think about it!"

I watched, feeling empty as the two girls squealed happily together, jumping up and down.

(Y/N) pulled away from Scarlett, and said, "This is fun! I've never had anyone else besides my family celebrate my birthday! We could watch my favorite scary movie, and then we can watch your favorite one too!"

Scarlett giggled, and then said, "I know! Also, I've already found a good present to give you! If I can come to your party, I know you will like it!"

(Y/N) smiled again, and my head throbbed with pain, seeing how happy she was with this girl.

They exchanged a few more words, and then they both entered the house, voices fading away.

I sat back, stunned. As my eyes stayed glued to the house, I felt my hands tremble, a feeling of rage, and betrayal overwhelming me.

No...

No! She can't be friends with anyone else!

She. Was. Mine!

My friend! My only friend that cared for me!

Without realizing, I brought my thumb to my mouth and bit down on the skin, glaring at the house as dark thoughts swam through my mind.

Unless she never cared at all!

No, she did. She wasted her time and effort on me!

But what did I do? Did I change her mind?

Then, I froze, not noticing the fact I drew blood from biting my finger so hard. Slowly, my mind shifted to one singular name.

Scarlett.

I felt a tick in the back of my mind, and my mouth twitched.

She was the one who took (Y/N) away from me! She made her want to get away from me!