Chapter 59

A/N: Hey guys!! I just wanted to drop in and say thanks for sticking by. I know the gap between my updates kind of made me lose some readers, and I sincerely apologize. I promised to finish the story like two years ago, but I didn't expect to have life keep smacking me in the face T-T

To those who have stayed, I'm sorry for keeping you guys in suspense, but I hope everyone sees this story through, and I hope, despite the ending not being perfect, you enjoyed this fic overall. I never once thought about discontinuing this book, because I put so much passion and thought into the story, so yeah!

Anyways, enjoy this chapter while you can... because from here on we'll be pretty angsty ;) The story is nearing the end, just a few more chapters left!

Do you know that feeling when adrenaline completely takes over your mind and body? Well, it's safe to say I've felt that many times within a certain amount of weeks. But this time, the adrenaline I'm feeling now, nothing can stop me.

My brother was alive, he finally woke up from that dreaded coma. Adam tempted me with money in the beginning, to help keep the hospital from pulling the plug, and it all finally paid off.

I had so many things to tell him, so many things I wanted to ask. I missed him so much, and on one hand, he was also the only best friend I've ever had up to this point.

Even though the rest of my family didn't make it, perhaps my brother surviving could be the silver lining in all of this.

My head was still pounding and thoughts were still racing as I practically fell over trying to put my shoes on. Everything around me was going in slow motion, all I could think about was getting to the hospital to finally reunite with the only family I had left.

But, despite my chest fluttering and adrenaline rushing through me, as soon as I turned towards the door, Adam stopped me.

He had blocked my way to the exit, staring down at me with crossed arms. It took me a moment to realize how spontaneous I was acting.

Taking a deep breath, attempting to slow my racing heart, I spoke. "Adam, please. I need to go and see him tonight. I just want to visit him and we can go to that location tomorrow..."

Arms still crossed, Adam replied with a low tone, "Y/N, I understand that you want to see your brother, but don't you think its a bit dangerous to go so late at night?"

From behind me, Tanner piped up as well while approaching me. "Yeah! It's not like you're really off the menu yet, y'know?"

I turned to squint at him, while he just gave me a humored smile. Then, I turned to Oscar, who was still fiddling with presumably Tanner's laptop.

"Oscar, do you think I should go?"

The boy looked up at me, expression concerning. He hesitated for a moment before speaking, hands rubbing together. "No, Y/N even if you want to go see your brother right now, it's too dangerous to go by yourself."

He walked over to the three of us, brows furrowed. It was a bit of a relief to see that he was much more relaxed now that he knows Adam and Tanner won't hurt him. "Besides, the woman said that she's always out and about, searching for any sign of you..."

With another pause, he added, "You do know... that she will still be happy to have you killed whether or not you finish the game, right?"

His words clung to me, and I felt as if I were sinking into the floor. That boy was right, whether I play the game or not, if I had slipped up and died, she still would have been happy. But then again, the times I've lived through those times it was still all part of her game.