Chapter 18

(Y/N)

Age 13:

"Good afternoon!" The boy greeted.

I blinked, not sure of how to feel since this dude was like sixteen. He was quite tall, with neatly cut brown hair, and my teenage hormones almost got the better of me.

"Hi." I replied, a little meek. "Do I know you from somewhere?"

Suddenly, the boy's smile faltered, but only for a split second, before he righted himself and shook his head.

"No, I don't think so, I was just wondering why you looked so sad."

I must have been crying without even realizing it. Embarrassed, I looked down at the concrete below me. "Oh, just having a bad day."

When I looked up, I noticed that the boy looked so... lost. His eyes, it was like staring into nothingness, and he looked like he wanted to say something.

I felt a bit bad, so I stuck out my hand. "I'm (Y/N), I'm not sure if you're interested, since I'm like three years younger than you, but I'm available if you ever want to talk."

The boy smiled sadly, and he never took my hand, so I had to drop it awkwardly.

"Tanner." He said, breaking the silence between us. I looked up, and he still harbored a sad look in his eyes. He also looked... guilty?

"Huh?"

"My name. It's Tanner." He backpedaled, and before I could say it was nice to meet him, he passed me, and started walking down the sidewalk.

"Wait!" I called out to him, and he glanced at me from over his shoulder, the crisp breeze ruffling up his hair, and the sun giving his skin a warm glow.

"I'm not here to be your friend." He stated bluntly. "I just... wanted to say sorry." Then, he turned and jogged away, leaving me all alone once more.
—————————

(A/N : This was the continuation from the end of the age 13 flashback in (Y/N)'s backstory)

——————————
(Y/N)

My eyes shot open, and I was met with morning sunshine, warm and comforting on my face.

Not too easy on the eyes, though.

At first, I just stayed where I was, thoughts racing about the dream I just had. Or was it a memory? Rubbing my eyes, I mentally disagreed, because I remember my past quite well, and I definitely don't remember meeting a boy named Tanner.

But, why was I just dreaming about it now?

Speaking of Tanner, I suddenly remembered the events that unfolded the night before, and I sat up. I was back in my bed, the dark comforter tossed over me, like the person could care less if I got cold during the night.

I scanned my room, but nothing looked out of the ordinary, sunshine spilling through my open curtains, giving everything a strangely warm atmosphere.

Did last night actually happen? Or did I just get drunk and pass out?

My head was still throbbing, along with my mind racing as I stepped into the bathroom and closed the door. Then I looked into the mirror on the back of the door and frowned.

What the hell?

I was just in my bra, and looking down, I realized my jeans weren't on either. Then, I looked to where my wounded shoulder was, and saw that it was wrapped in fresh new bandages. When I put pressure on it, raw pain shot through me, and I winced.

So last night was real. My stomach lurched, realizing that Tanner was the one who brought me back home, so he must have stripped off my clothes.

Without me even knowing.

I felt my knees buckle, embarrassment seeping in, and I flushed. This man is sick.

After finishing up in the bathroom, I stepped back out into the hallway. Aside from the light breeze outside, rustling the autumn trees, and the birds happily singing, everything in my house felt still. Quiet.

That is, until I reached the end of the hallway, arms wrapped around my bare stomach, and saw Tanner casually rooting through my kitchen cabinets. He turned to meet my wide eyes, and he gave me his little polite smile.

"Oh, good morning, (Y/N)!" He chirped happily, turning to face me.

My breath hitched, and I took a couple steps back. He manipulated me, drugged me, kidnapped me, tortured me, violated my privacy, and this sick man had the audacity to tell me good morning?

"Why the hell are you still in my house?" I could hear the tremble in my voice, but I knew I shouldn't back down again.

Tanner did that head tilt again, smile still plastered on his face. "Well, you heard what Adam said, right?" He stepped towards me, and I froze, the fear weighing me down, and holding me in place.

Once he was right in front of me, I felt an ice cold hand grab my chin -- a little too hard -- and tilted my head up so that we were looking at each other eye to eye.

Then, his voice was just a whisper. "I have to keep an eye on you. We wouldn't want your precious life to me taken away by the BlueBlood killer, would we?" He paused, and then added, "But in my opinion, I'm more worried about you tattle telling."

"I-- I told you guys I would keep my mouth shut." I choked, tears stinging my eyes. "I need the money, and I want the killer gone."

Tanner's fingers tightened around my chin, and his voice began to grow unsteady again, like he was about to go into some sort of killing frenzy. "But I'm sure it feels wrong. To be helping other murderers catch one."

A giggle escaped his lips, and then he brought the blade of his huge scalpel to my neck in one swift motion. He was scanning my eyes, and despite the fear, so overwhelming that I wanted to scream, I never broke eye contact.

"(Y/N)... just because Adam promised you that you'd live, I find it quite unfair." He pressed the blade to my neck, and the metal was cool against my flushed skin. "You are still considered our victim, and we are only doing this just so we can kill someone else."

"Fuck you." I snapped. "I'm a victim, yes, but I agreed to help you sickos just so I can have my end of the bargain. I'm a good person defending you people, so please take the knife away from my neck, before I smash your balls again."

Tanner quirked an eyebrow, surprised, but before he could say something, the sound of a car pulling into my gravel driveway could be heard. Tanner pulled away from me, and I could finally breathe again.

"You need to leave!" I warned. "That's probably my friend, and I have an interview today, and I don't have time to put up with this shit right now."

Tanner grinned. "Alright, I'll show myself out. Your bedroom window that is."

I followed him to the bedroom I had previously been in, and memories of Riley came flooding back. Tanner turned, and slowly, his eyes scanned my body, a smirk on his lips. "I hope you don't mind me removing your clothes, I thought it would be uncomfortable for you to sleep in such an outfit.

Anger swelled up in me, and the fear was gone. "Of course I mind!" My face was hot. "You can't just do that! Now get out, we can start this whole plan once I've cleared my schedule."

Then, Tanner slid open my window, climbed out, and jogged away.

After he disappeared from view, I let the tears come. Fear, anger, confusion, embarrassment. It wasn't a great combination.

What the fuck have I gotten myself into?

A/N : Hai :3 I hope you enjoyed the chapter! I've decided that my posting schedule will be somewhat consistent, since school the started. I'm thinking four chapters a week, and then none over the weekend because I need breaks here and there.

Anyway, look out for next chapter tomorrow!