one hundred and sixteen (or epilogue)

En başından başla

"I don't know about that," she scoffs, "I've got a few more wrinkles." 

"Nonsense," he shakes his head, looking over the top of her head to where the young actors have stopped messing around, looking at her with curiosity, "Have you seen Roger yet?"

"I haven't, no. I've just arrived." 

Brian puts a hand on her lower back, "He was over here with Becca a moment ago."

"Rebecaa's here?" she asks hopefully.

"She is," he nods, "Ah, here we go. Rog, someone to see you." 

Her cousin's wife is the first to turn, grinning as she nudges her husband, who seemingly hadn't heard his friend, interrupting him as he tries to explain the drum set up to one of the crew members. 

"Nessie," he greets, returning his attention to the young man and both she and Brian hear him tell him to leave it, he'll do it himself in a minute.

"Charming as ever," Roxy teases as he and Rebecca join them and Roger hugs her tightly, kissing the side of her head softly before she pulls back. 

"I've missed you, Nessie." he murmurs as she hugs Rebecca.

She settles back in with being with them quickly - like they'd never really been apart and it makes her a little bit sad. She wishes she'd tried harder to convince John to come. He should be here, Freddie too.

It just wasn't fair.

They show her what they'd been working on; showing her copies of scripts and location shoots (which Roger only hands over when she swears that she won't tell anybody). 

She's introduced to the actors next; Lucy, a beautiful blonde worthy of the role of Mary Austin. 

Rami, with his prosthetics and iconic Live Aid outfit, was already in character and Roxy feels herself tear up when he calls her darling. It was like their friend was standing in front of her and not someone else playing him. 

Ben, he was a sweetheart. He had a cheekiness about him that reminded her so much of Roger back in the day. 

Giving that she had already met Gwilym, Joe was the last to meet. He looked nervous which she thought was adorable and he was so polite. He kept calling her Mrs Deacon, ignoring Gwilym when he tells him that she doesn't like being called that. 

"If you're going to be around on set," Joe begins when they get ready to head off to their marks so they can start filming, "I would, I mean, would you be up for - um," 

"Of course," Roxanne interrupts, giving him a smile, "I'd be happy to answer any questions."

He looks relieved, carefully picking up his bass before he heads off towards the stage.

They seemed perfect and as they head for their marks, she admires that the chemistry between all five of them is on par with what it was back when they were all together. 

"What do you think?" both Roger and Brian appear on either side of her, eyebrows raised in genuine curiosity. 

She nods her approval, "They seem like a good bunch." 

"They are," Brian hums, "It's only their first day filming but we've seen the rehearsals." 

"It's their first day?" Roxanne repeats, "And you're starting them off with probably the biggest moment of your career?" 

"Baptism by fire and all that," Roger chuckles, patting her shoulder before he moves to stand by Rebecca. 

She and Brian stand in silence for a few minutes and without looking at him, Roxanne can tell that he's itching to ask about John. Like she said, she hasn't seen Brian in what feels like forever and John's in the same boat. 

"How is he?" 

She smiles, "He's good. He actually encouraged me to come today." 

"Good," he nods, clearing his throat, "Did he get those gifts we sent over? The ones from the fans in Japan?" 

"He did," she grins, "I sent Roger a video, did he not show you?" 

She digs her phone out of her bag when he shakes his head, scrolling through the countless photos -mostly of their grandkids and cat- that she's taken since then, handing him the device when she's clicked on it.

Brian watches it silently, a grin etching onto his face when he sees John in the small screen, admiring all of the handmade items and paintings that were sent by the label, "He looks well. That's good."

"It makes his day getting stuff like this," Roxy admits as she drops her phone back into her bag, "Everything that you guys have sent him, we've got this room at the top of the house and he keeps it all in there. All of the records, the awards..."

"He keeps it all?" 

"Of course he does, Brian." she laughs, "And he's proud of you. Roger too." 

"He is?" 

"So proud. He's proud that the two of you have managed to keep going, that you're bringing the music you four created to younger generations..." she can feel herself getting emotional and Brian wraps an arm around her shoulders, tugging her into his side. 

"He knows that he could, that we would..." he doesn't know how to word it, how to get the words out but Roxanne knows what he's trying to say and gives him a watery smile. 

"He can't," she whispers, "Doing it without Freddie...he just can't." 

"He'd love this," Brian says after another few minutes silence, "Freddie."

Roxanne smiles as Roger waves them over. Filming was about to start, "He really would." 

++|++

Roxanne doesn't get home till late, deciding to stay on set for the full day. Where there were breaks in filming, she would talk to Joe; telling him all about John and the little things that she thought would help him in portraying her husband as accurately as possible and when they were done for the day, she promises that she'll come down again.

John is in the living room doing a crossword in his paper but he looks up when she steps into the room, dropping her bag onto the couch. 

"Hey," he greets quietly, standing so he can help her out of her coat, "How was it?"

She nods, kissing his cheek in thanks, "It was great. I think it's going to be a great film."

"Yeah? Good. I didn't know what time you were going to be home but there's some dinner in the microwave if you want it." 

"Thank you," she murmurs, "I'll just get changed." 

John returns to his chair, picking up his paper to continue the crossword when his phone chimes on the table beside him. 

He frowns - no one texts him except for Roxy and the kids. 

Picking it up, he adjusts his glasses, frown deepening when he sees that it's an unrecognised number but, he opens it up. 

Hello, Deacy! It's Brian. I hope you don't mind that your lovely wife gave me your number - said that you wouldn't mind if I got in touch. I hope you're well and I hope to hear back from you. Bri. 

John's brow furrows and he looks up at the doorway when he feels Roxanne's eyes on him. 

"I didn't tell him to text you," she holds up her hands, "Friends will be friends, right?" 

A smile tugs at his lips, "Yeah, Friends will be friends." 

++|++

i feel like i could have ended this better. i was struggling with how to end it and that's why this is two days late but i refuse to believe that john doesn't talk to the boys. sorry, but i can't so 🤷‍♂️

anyway, this is the end of GOFLB. i love this story but god, it has been a pain in the arse these last few weeks. thank you to all that read, reread and all that jazz, i honestly don't think i could finish without you guys. the brian story might be up soon, might not, i haven't decided if i'm going to post it or not. thanks again tho, i love you all