16. Her breathtaking smile

Nandini took uncertain steps towards Shubham, who couldn't stop grinning

Nandini took uncertain steps towards Shubham, who couldn't stop grinning. She had her eyes narrowed at him, still unable to believe she indeed found him or he found her. Or perhaps Aditya and Abhi did. But whatever the case was, she ended up giggling, rushing towards him at a speed that startled one and all.

Halting a step away from him with her eyes widened and lips parted, she said, "You are really here?" 

Shubham chuckled, raking his hand through his hair as a jubilant glint shone in his eyes. "I am really here."

She carefully poked his arms, furrowing her brows. When she finally discerned that he was no phantom or a figment of her imagination, she squealed in exuberance and threw her arms around his neck, jumping at the spot. "Oh my God! Oh my God! You are actually here."

"I am." He wrapped his arms around her, drawing her closer to himself. "Indeed here."

"I missed you so bad," she said, whining.

He sighed profoundly, kissing the top of her hair. "Not more than me, Basu."

***

Abhi plopped himself on the bonnet of his car, watching the exciting reunion of the two long-lost friends, occasionally noticing the content smile playing on Aditya's lips. The two people at the far end of the hillock were constantly murmuring in each other's ears, embracing one another, and giggling incessantly while Aditya couldn't stop beaming and bobbing his head in satisfaction.

As the clouds parted, the fog receded, the sun was finally visible, rising from behind the hills across the city, and though it was slightly chilly, the temperatures were not too low for them to be cold. Abhi took his time to observe Aditya in the meantime too. He was constantly gazing at the duo, probably relishing the bright and vivacious smile on the girl, and Abhi couldn't hold himself back.

"You did a good thing, Adi."

He nodded. "I know."

"Why, though? Why go to such lengths?" Abhi wiggled his brows. "You had your father's secretary hire a private investigator, got this guy stalked, and the moment you received his number, you wasted no time and called him here. That's... that's some task you undertook at the wee hours of the morning for a random girl."

"Nandini is not a random girl." Aditya scowled. "She is a very good friend to us."

Abhi hummed. "That day at the ice cream parlor, you were against Rishi and Nandini's date because this was your plan." He gestured towards the hugging duo.

Aditya giggled. "Precisely, my boy! But," he rolled his eyes, "everyone has to play Cupid."

"When it was you who wanted to play Cupid for the not-so-random Nandini Basu."

Aditya chuckled. "Not exactly. Just," he shrugged, "wanted to do this."

"Why, Adi? Why are you doing so much for her?"