50. Perfect

Piyali hadn't slept properly in a long time

Piyali hadn't slept properly in a long time. Was it a month? Or two months? She had lost track of time. Ever since she came across Nandini outside the florist, a lot of things had changed between her and Shubham. The first week, she had been unable to close her eyes and slip into a slumber as the smiling face of her ex-paramour haunted her. So, she occupied herself with her work and reading through various books on maternity. She evaded Shubham, for he was also definitely perturbed and was circumventing direct conversations with her.

But then the second week onward, the more she tried to talk to him, the more distant he seemed to be. He would just not open his mouth despite her lurking and hovering around him. In fact, he deliberately skipped reaching home on time so that he wouldn't be forced to eat dinner with her. Thoroughly irked by his conduct, she busied herself with her work and slept off before he could arrive back. If he wanted solitude to reminisce about his ex, so be it!

But then she could never slip into a slumber, and throughout the time he freshened up after work and ate dinner by himself and landed on the bed with a thud before turning his back to her, she could sense him around but she knew he was not even casting a glance at her.

The same had happened that Friday night as well. He reached late, didn't even eat dinner, changed into his sweatpants, and collapsed on the bed with his face turned away from her. She had felt the mattress dip before she craned her neck to find him fast asleep, the stunning tattoo on his naked back staring at her. The remnant dregs of her patience were lost too, and she continued twisting and turning through the night.

Until the feeble rays of the sun flitted through the glass windows of their room, and she slid down from the bed with immense difficulty. The silence tormenting the room was sufficient for her not to be in his vicinity for a moment more than necessary. Their happy and cosy space didn't last long, all thanks to her one outburst after meeting Nandini at the florist the other day. Only a single outburst that she regretted. Apparently, she was not entitled to expressing her woes lest he start thinking about his ex-fiancée.

She chose to freshen up and abandon her husband in the room before going to the kitchen.

She was nearly at the end of the term of her pregnancy. In fact, the original delivery date was supposed to be in two weeks, but her doctor had expressed concerns about the same. It might be the case that her pregnancy lasted the entire duration of forty-two weeks. She was supremely concerned about the health of her baby, but the doctor had told her that the fetus was fine and growing, and if she were not to go into labor naturally, they would induce labor after the forty-two-week mark.

She was getting impatient to meet her baby, but at the same time, she was wary of what new storm awaited her after the arrival of their child. Shubham was paying attention to her needs and requirements like before, yes. He was still doing everything a doting husband and father should, yes. Sans the affection he had begun exhibiting so loudly just a couple of months ago. He was back to being reclusive and silent, not joking around or poking her just to irritate her or holding meaningful conversations with her.