47. Calls for a celebration

That Friday, as Nandini was driving back from work, she heard her phone chime with an email

That Friday, as Nandini was driving back from work, she heard her phone chime with an email. When the car halted at a traffic signal, she reviewed the communication she had received, and her mouth hung open in surprise as she kept perusing through the same contents over and over again, her eyes darting across the screen in a swift motion. Her trance broke only when someone behind her honked hard, not so subtly notifying her that the light at the signal had turned green.

As soon as she reached her apartment, she squealed in excitement, throwing her things everywhere, not even bothering to pick them up, dancing without music, singing at the top of her voice. Never, in her wildest dreams, did she imagine she would accomplish this, and she ached to tell someone, share her exuberance, share her happiness. Glancing at the wall clock next to the TV, she apprehended that it was still too early in the morning in India and her parents must be fast asleep. Hence, she decided to contact the only other person she considered family.

Not wasting a second more, she pulled her phone out of her bag and opened the chatbox with 'Devil'. She had the entire message typed and was on the verge of hitting send, her thumb hovering over the button, when she bit her lips, shook her head, and deleted the transcribed message. They had agreed to go out for dinner sometime, but he hadn't contacted her yet. She was not disappointed either since the two had arrived at the conclusion that they had all the time in the world. Ergo, they would be taking things slow this time.

But with the good news in her hands, she couldn't wait for him to make the first move. So, she clicked on the call button on the screen.

***

Aditya was sitting inside the conference room of his office, the glass-length windows surrounding the round table from all sides. It was the most crucial meeting his team was having with his boss regarding the biggest project of the year. The outcome of the meeting could impact his chances of getting a promotion he had been awaiting. The costs of the project were running out of control, and it was up to his team to rein the prices in, failing which, he would not be considered for the managerial post he coveted.

But he was confident about the discussion. His team had always provided efficient solutions in tricky situations, reading the market well, comprehending how the stock prices would fluctuate over the coming days. He was certain things would go his way no matter what.

He had only just finished speaking about the idea the team had collectively come up with regarding the cost-cutting that could help the firm finish the product on time while ensuring the profits would not be hampered. The PowerPoint presentation with the charts and graphs displayed on the whiteboard via the projector was gaining accolades from his boss and their bosses, but his gaze consistently went towards his phone, vibrating when sitting next to the laptop, Vixen's name flashing on the screen.

His hands were itching to take it, but his boss was still not done talking, and he couldn't excuse himself in the middle of the discourse. He cursed himself under his breath when the call got disconnected. The enthusiasm with which he had been communicating in the meeting so far was suddenly dampened, and he yearned to take the call and see what she wanted to say to him. It had been four whole weeks since he had dropped her at her apartment, and ever since then, he had been unable to take her sweet voice off his mind. However, he wished to take things slow this time around and proceed the right way. Hence, he was impatiently waiting for the weekend to call her up. But now that the chance to speak to her presented itself, he didn't wish to let it slide.