21. They know

The blush on her cheeks had become his absolute favorite a long time ago, but he never knew beauty could be so charming, so alluring, yet so simple

The blush on her cheeks had become his absolute favorite a long time ago, but he never knew beauty could be so charming, so alluring, yet so simple. She was pretty, yes, but he had no clue she could be this stunning. With her pimples owned proudly, her dusky skin tone fitting well with the shade of her eyes, her chubby arms and cheeks adding to the cuteness she exuded, she appeared oh-so ethereal with her curly hair flowing behind her as the Ferris wheel made its customary revolutions. In fact, there was an overload of aesthetically pleasing features when it came to the girl despite the traditionally accepted flaws as claimed by society.

Perhaps he had known it all wrong his entire life. Probably he had believed in the incorrect things since he was a young boy. Beauty could never equate to just the outer appearance as Nandini had so gracefully explained it to him without articulating a single thing. Not that Piyali wasn't beautiful. She was. Inside out. However, the girl standing in front of him, her eyes shimmering with glee and joy as she suggested a dress to his mother, was the most exquisite woman he had the fortune of meeting in his life. And probably, his definition of love and relationships and matters of the heart had been faulty all along, for complex emotions, deep-seated feelings, and heart-touching sentiments could be found in the most unexpected of people.

Yes, he had an extremely beautiful girlfriend, and he was always proud of the fact that he found Piyali. However, at the moment, he was sure that outer beauty was just an illusion. A sensual, tempting illusion. Beauty couldn't be skin-deep. It lay in the chasm swirling in Nandini's eyes. It lay in the giggles escaping her throat every now and then. It lay in the innocent smiles on her face. It lay in the innocuous brushes against her palm. It lay in every breath she took and in each of those moments when she batted her lashes.

Lost in his own musings, he didn't notice when they went towards the musical arena of the fair where quite a few Disney mascots were dancing and encouraging the visitors to sway to the tunes too. His excited mother pulled his grinning father, and the two of them held hands, dancing under the starlit sky as pop tunes blared from the speakers.

Watching his parents shake a leg with Mickey Mouse, he chuckled and forwarded his palm to the cute girl next to him. "Wanna dance?"

She peered at him once before looking back towards the neon lights flashing on the Roy couple, illuminating their skin in a different hue. "I don't know how to dance."

"Seriously?" He grimaced, but when she shrugged, he facepalmed himself and held her wrists, prompting her to glimpse at him once again. "Loosen up, Nandini. Always follow your heart. Remember?"

She took a deep breath, reminiscing all the sweet moments the two of them had spent during the Durga Puja weekend. All of it was etched in her memory, and no matter what, she had been unable to forget the sweet talks, the flirtatious exchanges, the late-night conversations, the teasings, his blue car, her pink dress...

The more those memories flitted through her mind, the more breathless she became because she had recently spent a beautiful evening with Shubham, and that was supposed to be the stepping stone to finding love in the city. But if that was as real as she had claimed it to be, what was it drawing her closer to the devil?