20. Diamonds and Ferris wheels

Abhi had chosen to stay with Shruti for the week as Aditya's parents were around, and he wished to give the family some privacy

Abhi had chosen to stay with Shruti for the week as Aditya's parents were around, and he wished to give the family some privacy. Hence, Nandini found herself in an awkward situation where Sandhya insisted on helping with the evening meal, and the two women continued chattering as the men watched a cricket match on television. Now, the awkward part was most certainly the random questions that popped from Sandhya's side, gauging to know more about the girl, to see if she knew anything at all about her son's likes and dislikes and that one arbitrary question about whether she had ever stayed over at Aditya's place. Nandini could only gulp and smile weakly, for she had stayed, yes, but not in the capacity Sandhya was imagining.

Much to Nandini's annoyance, Aditya had her convinced to pose to be his girlfriend. Though she had a pleasant evening with his parents, she glared at her newfound boyfriend from time to time, expressing her displeasure at the situation. Two hours of sheer torture and endless questions for Nandini ended when the meal was ready. Seated at the dining table with the plates of Biryani and bowls of raita, Choley Bhature, and a platter of green salad, the four of them savored the delicacies, praising Sandhya's cooking skills and continuing the Q&A session.

"I am so glad he has a girlfriend whom we liked instantly." Sandhya blew air out of her mouth. "Otherwise, bride hunting in this day and age is so difficult, I tell you."

Nandini giggled, casting a furtive glimpse at Aditya whose lips had rolled inward. Guilt filled her up, and she had to shove it down along with a spoonful of flavored rice.

"So, how did you guys meet?" Abnish said, wagging his fingers between the newest couple in town sitting opposite him.

"Tinder," Aditya blurted.

Nandini crinkled her nose, scowling at him. "Tinder?"

He shrugged. "Yeah."

She rolled her eyes. Glimpsing at his parents, she said, "We have mutual friends, Uncle. I work in the same firm as Piyali. She is his... uh..."

"Friend." Sandhya smiled wide. "We know. Adi introduced her to our family. A very good friend she is, am I right?"

Aditya shifted uncomfortably at his spot, popping open the topmost button of his shirt as his breath came out raggedly. "Yep."

Nandini forced a smile on her face. "Yeah... well... we met at a dinner she had organized at her place."

"Oh, and you connected instantly?" Abnish said.

Nandini had to gulp down the bile rising up her throat. Their first meeting was surely something she would remember till her final breath, but an instant connection was a far-off dream. "Technically," she pursed her lips, "we first met when I unintentionally dashed into his baby at the airport parking."

She went back to shoving spoonfuls of the delectable food into her mouth, disregarding the complete quietude that had befallen the dining table. When she finally looked up, she was taken aback upon coming across the shocked expressions on everyone's faces. Sandhya had her mouth hung open, Abnish was in the midst of putting the spoon in his mouth, and Aditya had a massive frown etched on his features.