45. Mistake

The one night of meaningful conversation between the two ensured that the ice had melted, the constrictions in their hearts eased away, and the couple could talk freely, lucid discourse flowing amongst them whenever the chance knocked at their doors. Stories of childhood and adulthood were shared, and though Piyali was overly honest with all her answers, Shubham was slightly embarrassed about letting his wife know about the series of casual flings he had had once upon a time in college. He wasn't sure why he couldn't bring himself to tell her, but deep inside his heart, he knew it would probably make the hormonal and pregnant woman furious and jealous.

She fell in love with him, albeit unknowingly, a bit more whenever he exhibited care and concern for her. Holding her hands as they strolled under the moon at night, fulfilling all her strange cravings irrespective of the ungodly hour she placed her demands at, and making it to dinner on time so that she wouldn't have to eat by herself—he did everything in his power to keep her happy and content. He got so busy making his wife satisfied in her pregnancy that he completely misremembered a certain someone he had once lost his heart to. He totally forgot Nandini and her betrayal, the way he had heard her confess her undying love for someone else, the way he found Aditya's jacket on her bed one night before the wedding. The only thing that played in his mind was the mother of his unborn child, her safety, her security, her health, and her overall well-being.

And Piyali knew now that Shubham wasn't just an over-protective father. He was also a wonderful husband who was fulfilling all his duties without a crease on his forehead irrespective of the way the two souls were brought together in this marriage. The saner part of her brain prompted her to carry out some of the wifely duties too like cooking for him, cleaning the house, or ironing his clothes, but then she was not an expert at household chores. Neither did she need to. The meal service Shubham had arranged for delivered fresh home cooked food at their doorstep with a wide range of cuisines to choose from, and the house-help arrived every morning sharp at 7 am to take care of the cleaning, laundry, dishes, and even Piyali's pregnancy needs.

But that evening, as she watched the clouds gather overhead and the lightning crossing the skies, her heart soared in joy at the idea of having something warm to drink while watching the rain. She got up from the couch, her hands protectively placed on her belly, but before she could reach the kitchen, a raucous rumble resounded from above, and she was startled. The outpour was torrential, accompanied by cyclones and tempests. The trees were nearly getting uprooted due to the force of the winds, and the rains were lashing consistently against the glass walls. Her first instinct was to call Shubham up and tell him to be safe at the office instead of driving back home under such circumstances, but she was baffled to learn from his secretary that he had not been in the office since earlier that afternoon.

Concern plagued her heart since the situation outside was growing worse, and prayers for her husband automatically escaped her mouth. Even the news channels were repeatedly saying the same thing over and over again. A downpour like that hadn't been seen in the Bay Area in over a decade. Gulping, she began pacing the length of the room, calling all his friends she knew of to ascertain his whereabouts, but her heart was beating at an erratic pace as everyone gave her a negative response.

Lunging the phone on the couch, she was about to collapse on it with her head in her hands when the front door clicked open, and she heaved a sigh of relief as a visibly exhausted and completely drenched Shubham entered the house, water dripping from his clothes and dampening the wooden floor.

"Oh, hey," he said when he caught sight of her by the sofa. "Can you please get me a towel?"

She blinked back the tears forming in her eyes. Tears of relief they were because he was safe. He was okay. Nodding briefly, she went to the utility room to fetch a fresh towel from the cabinet, but she took a moment to catch her breath, leaning against the door, comprehending the range of emotions she had experienced within the span of a few hours.