Chapter 27

Khalil POV

We placed the food on the table and I pulled the chair out for Avaa then plated her food for her. I placed it in front of her and she immediately dug in. I did the same for myself as Bri and Jay helped themselves. Not much conversation happened because we were on a timeline and running a little behind. Jay and I wanted to be at the airport at least an hour and a half before take off, but after a late start and a few enjoyable delays, it was 8:45.

Avaa finished her food first and went to wash the dishes- usually, whichever one of us doesn't cook, cleans up, but today had to be a little different. So, when I finished my food, I dropped my dish off and ran upstairs to get my bags. Luckily, we'd packed them a while ago and Avaa triple checked to make sure I had everything I'd need for the month. I wheeled my matching large and small suitcases out of the closet then went back for the garment bag and duffel. I stacked my duffel on top of my bigger suitcase and folded the garment bag in half to clip onto the smaller suitcase. Then, somehow, I managed to get all of that down the stairs in one trip without falling.

"Jason!" I called when I got to the bottom of the steps.

"First of all, don't be calling out my gov like that. Second, what the hell do you want?" he walked into the foyer.

"Are we taking your car or mine?"

"Mine, I drove the Navigator. Plus that way, Abriell can drive my truck and Avaa won't have to drive." He gave me the keys and I nodded my head and went out to his car in the driveway. I popped the trunk and tossed my bags in the back with his and went back into the house. Thankfully, Avaa had finished the dishes and everybody was just about ready to go. Well everyone except got Avaa, she had to pee and get on her shoes. She waddled up the stairs to finish getting herself together and I followed because I knew she probably wouldn't be able to reach her shoes and she definitely can't reach her feet with out some help or little time. She beelined it for the bathroom and I just went into the closet.

"Babe, what shoes you wearing today?" I asked.

"My crocs" she yelled back and I looked around for her crocs before finally finding them in one of the lower shoe slots. I pulled them out and grabbed a pair of socks just as she exited the bathroom. Avaa took a seat and I knelt down in front of her to slip on her socks then she slipped her feet into the crocs.

"Ready?" I asked and she nodded and we headed back downstairs.

"Everybody ready?" Jay asked, keys in hand and ready to hop in the car and we all replied yes in some way and made our way to the driveway. I made sure to lock the front and garage doors before getting in the back with Avaa.

The drive to the airport wasn't long, but was filled with laughter. Jay started with his shit and as usual, I jumped in and it ended with us exchanging some light banter. I was glad to have Avaa laughing and not thinking too hard about the trip because it kept the tears and shit at bay, but I knew that was about to end soon when we pulled up to the Southwest Airlines terminal. Jay parked the car and he and Bri hopped out to grab his bags out the trunk. Avaa, on the other hand, stayed in her seat for a second and I sat with her before she decided to get out and we went to the back to get my stuff. I put all my junk on the pavement and walked up to Avaa to say bye. I could tell she was trying to keep it all together.

I smiled down at her, "we're not crying?!" I was half questioning and completely surprised, but I spoke too soon. The second I finished my sentence tears welled up in her eyes, "ok, we're crying" I mumbled and pulled her into me for a hug.

"I fuckin hate these hormones, man" she mumbled in a low 'crying' voice.

"I know you do. But, it's gonna be ok and I'll be back in 4 short weeks" I said with a big smile. I was mostly just trying to convince her that it wouldn't be as long as she thought, "and when I come back you'll only be 27 weeks, so no where near the due date. Plus, you know we'll FaceTime every night and during every appointment. I won't miss a thing, I swear" I finished and stuck my pinky out for her to link, which she did, then we both leaned in to kiss it.