Chapter 21

Avaa POV

"knock knock..." I heard someone say at the door before entering. I looked and saw that it was the family. Kina walked in first, but the rest of them crowded in at the same time. I sat up as they all filed in and stood around my bed.

"Ya wanna stop staring at me like a zoo animal?" I asked sarcastically and they all kind of awkwardly looked away.

"I told y'all not to bombard her" Khalil said re-entering the room. He pushed through the crowd to give me the tea, "aint nobody bombarding the girl- sheesh, relax" Alayna spoke up first and I laughed a little. Khalil gave me a kiss on the head and took a seat in the chair next to me, "baby, let me know if any one of em start some shit and I'll-"

"You aint gon do shit" Jay taunted at Khalil. Then he took it upon himself to climb in bed with me and turn on my tv, "anything good on? Y'all know?" Jay casually looked around the room asking about tv shows and everybody bussed out laughing- that definitely broke the ice because everybody found a spot in the room and stopped worrying about me which was nice.

"Nigga, why are you cuddling with my girl?" Khalil said from the chair.

"Well yo big ole monkey lookin ass wasn't gonna get in here, was you? No, I didn't think so" Jay answered his own question before Khalil even go the chance to open his mouth and turned back to the TV. Khalil looked at me and all I could do was shake my head and laugh. The boy is so black, he didn't even move when the nurse came to draw my blood for the test, instead he pushed me over like I wasn't supposed to be there. I couldn't help but to laugh at his silliness.

I laid there thankful that they were able to take my mind off of the situation at hand and just enjoyed their company. Jay kept yelling at the people in the show and Alayna's silly ass kept piping him up. Occasionally, I would catch Khalil glance over at me with a small smile, then turn his attention back to the show. On the last glance, we made eye contact and he simply took my hand in his and held it.

A few minutes later, I heard a commotion in the hallway and didn't pay it no mind but, the voices got louder as the people got closer to my door until it finally swung open.

"Awe honey!" I heard just before seeing the person behind the voice, but I didn't need to, I already knew who it was.

"Mama?" I sat up, confused as hell. How in the world did she know I was here?

"Avaa baby, what happened?" She walked over to the bed and started checking me out. I swatted her hands away once she started checking my damn temperature.

"Mama, will you stop fussin, I'm alright, but how'd you know I was here? Did Khalil call?" I asked her but made direct eye contact with Khalil and he shook his head back.

"Can't be if you're here, now tell me what's wrong. And no, Anya did but couldn't tell me much over the phone."

I shot Anya a glare because she knows how much I hate worrying mama about stuff like this, "aht aht, don't look at her like that- she did the right thing. And I'm not gon ask you again, young lady" she said sternly.

I turned back to her and quietly said, "I've been having these contraction pains all week and tonight I started bleeding, so Julia told me to come here."

"ALL WEEK?" Khalil yelled in surprise. Oops. "Why didn't you tell me that?"

"Avaa Marie, you didn't find  it important enough to let your fiancé know that your pregnant self was having contractions?" my mama shook her head in disappointment. This is why I didn't want her to come.

"Y'all mind stepping into the hallway for a second, I have to talk with Avaa in private" Khalil said and everybody began to clear the room, well everybody except my mama.