Chapter 47

Avaa POV

Beep beep

Khalil's alarm went off again and this time was more of the same. He groaned, rolled over, pressed snooze and went back to sleep. I have been up for the past hour and I decided to let him sleep in some because he got called into work after dinner last night and didn't get in until just a few hours ago. But this damn alarm was starting to work my nerves.

Beep beep

It went off again- this makes 4 times in 30 minutes and Khalil repeated the same movements again. "Baby, either get up or reset the alarm for another time. That is the fourth time that thing has gone off" I complained and he just groaned back at me. "I need you to get up anyway, the kids and this party aint gonna get itself together" I mumbled, mostly to myself.

"But baby, I'm tired" Khalil whined.

"Aint my fault you was out til the ass crack of dawn" I mumbled to myself again.

"Avaa are you mad at me?" he asked outright with his face still pressed against the mattress and I blew out a sigh.

Yes, I was frustrated at him for leaving last night, but I've reconciled with his jobs and schedule a long time ago, so I try not to complain. But this time was different; the kids know their dad travels a lot for work and usually has to do so unexpectedly and this late night call in risked him missing their birthday altogether, which he's never done. And even after much assurance that Khalil would be back for their birthday tomorrow, the triplets we're distraught. Ky spent the better part of her bedtime crying herself to sleep and the boys tried to keep it cool, but they ended up sulking it out too. And the rest of the kids weren't much better, so all around it was a rough night.

I continued moving around the room, not answering his question and he sat up. "Avaa" Khalil said simply and I stopped in my tracks.

"Yes?" I replied. Even though I tried to keep the frustration out of my tone, it snuck in there ever so subtly.

"Come here, love" he instructed.

"What Khalil? This party starts at 2:30 which is in..." I paused to look at my watch, "5 hours and some change."

"Then tell me what's wrong and this won't take long" Khalil said, patting the space next time him, letting me know that he wanted me to come sit down. I walked over to him and he pulled me into his lap. I sat in between his legs with my back against his chest and he nestled his face in my neck, placing soft kisses along my collarbone. "You know how we do things, so tell daddy what's wrong" he said and I chuckled, "why are you mad?"

"I'm not mad" I blew out a sigh, "just frustrated" I admitted and he looked at me waiting for me to continue, "last night the triplets cried their eyes out for you because they thought you were gonna miss their day and you know how hard the littles take it when you have to leave. And every time I'm the one cleaning up their tears and wiping their faces not actually knowing if you're gonna be home when you say...and I know I know, your job is unpredictable and I've accepted that, but our kids didn't sign up for that and aren't always prepared for that."

"Damn...I'm sorry babe. You're right, the kids deserve better than that and honestly I don't have an excuse, all I can say is I fucked up and I'll do better and try to make sure everything is handled by the end of my day or I get travel information with a little more notification" Khalil kissed my cheek and I leaned into it.

"Thank you for apologizing baby...I just hate seeing my poor babies crying like that."

"Yeah especially when they get to sobbing...that shit kills me" he shook his head, sitting back against the headboard.