1.20 Oikawa Tōru is Not a Genius

Start from the beginning

He needed to calm down. He was becoming too tunnel-visioned and blinded.

Ai had made a detrimental error in her parting words the previous night. She should have told him that he wasn't alone, that he needed to let his upperclassmen do their part, too. She should have reminded them to use the lavender oil that morning as well.

Luckily, they were equipped with another setter, and Coach Ukai sent him in, having the same thought as her.

———

Earlier That Morning
In Tokyo

"Today's Oha Asa horoscope says that the most unlucky folks for the day are Gemini. It's best they stay in bed and rest their heads!..."

Midorima's brow twitched as he packed his lucky item, a stuffed koala, into his bag. He left for school as usual and secured the bandages around his fingers.

.

After school, he called Kise during his break at practice. Kaijō's ace picked up after several rings.

"Midorima-cchi, help me! The coach is so mean to me today! He's been at me ever since Kasamatsu-senpai graduated, but today especially!"

Midorima held the phone five inches away from his ear, annoyed at the whining that came through as soon as the call connected. "Gemini's are unlucky today, idiot."

By then, Takao had taken interest in who his friend was calling, in the middle of practice no less. "Who is it, Shin-chan?"

"Shut up, Takao." He succinctly spoke into the receiver. "You seem fine. I'm hanging up."

Kise started to protest. "Hey, what are you talking about? I'm not fi-"

Beep.

He sighed and considered dialing the other Gemini.

———

Last Summer
At Karasuno High School

"I was wondering before, but how'd you get so good at managing sports clubs?" Tanaka asked one day as he sat on the floor chugging his water. He had shaved his head, getting rid of the bleached blond fuzz.

"I was one of the managers for the basketball team in middle school."

"Which school?" Nishinoya asked after quenching his thirst as well.

"Teikō Junior High, in Tokyo."

"You're from Tokyo?!"
They were both surprised.

She nodded. "Our team was undefeated, with inhumanly strong players. They called the five members, arguably six, the Generation of Miracles."

"Wow! That's so cool! I want a title like that!" Nishinoya pumped up a fist.

"Perhaps you'll get to meet them one day," she hoped.

"Why'd you move here? To Miyagi?" Tanaka was genuinely curious.

She made a joking face. "My Japanese is terrible. And, my mother opened a craft shop."

"Huh."

"Wait, did you say basketball?" Nishinoya asked next.

"Yes. I'm still new to volleyball, so Kiyoko-senpai has been teaching me."

They reddened at the mention of her name.

"You'll do great!" Tanaka said, embarrassed for some reason.

———

At Kuroko's Birthday Party

Everyone sat on the floor around the table in Kagami's lively living room, eating and chatting.

"I couldn't believe it before, but they really do seem to be dating," Himuro said to Takao, referring to the eminent couple.

"Yeah, she's kinda terrifying, to go out with someone like that," Takao told him with candor, leaning back on his hands.

"She's human just the same. So is Akashi," Himuro laughed dryly.

"True, but I can't imagine them being all couple-ly and lovey-dovey."

Meanwhile, Akashi reached out to touch the pendant around her neck. "It's beautiful on you."

"Thank you." She had worn it every day since he'd given it to her, even under her uniform to school in secret. "I love it."

"Is the collar fulfilling its purpose?" His maroon eyes gleamed.

"Woof," she joked.

"Arf!" Suddenly, Number 2 jumped into her lap, lolling its little pink tongue out.

"Aw." Ai had always had a soft spot for animals, dogs in particular. "Hello there, Nigou." She pet its head and massaged its ears while his eyes drooped in comfort.

Akashi looked over her shoulder lovingly. From afar, they seemed like the perfect couple.

***

Guesses on Nigou's dog breed? (If he's a mix, of what kinds?)
How old do you think he is?

Total Word Count: 1248