1.14 Formidable Opponents

Start from the beginning

Ai opened her eyes to the bright gymnasium and familiar faces. "Atsu-kun. Tatsuya. What are you doing here?"

She bounced the ball to Murasakibara and ran over for a hug. He caught it with ease and hugged her back.

"He- He's huge..." Hinata trembled and looked as if he were about to wet his pants. The others were equally shocked, as it was the first time they'd met him.

"It's our day off, and Muro-chin brought me here."

"What the hell are you guys-" Coach Ukai made a face and screamed, pointing a finger. "What the hell?! Where did you guys come from?!"

"I apologize, Coach. These are my friends from Yōsen High."

"Hello," Himuro bowed politely. "Atsushi, greet them."

"Hey," he bobbed his head.

"Yōsen?! Where the hell is that?! And, you!!! What are you doing with a basketball?!" He pointed at Ai next; he seemed to have a habit of doing that. 

She ignored his uncouth actions and talked to the two visitors. "What perfect timing, would you play a little one-on-one for me to watch, please?"

"Whaat?" Murasakibara dragged. "I didn't come here to play," he whined.

"I'll buy you snacks later," she promised.

"Muro-chin, let's go."

Himuro laughed, and they took off their blazers and neckties, loosening their clothing.

"No dunks, please. The hoop is old, and with your strength, you'll surely break the ring off."

"Okay," the giant said while the other guys were stunned. Who would break a basketball goal that's securely bolted to a wooden board?

The shooting guard positioned himself in front of Murasakibara and took a stance to block his drive. Ai observed vigilantly, ideas coming to mind. She had Kinoshita fetch her notebook and jotted down the inspiration.

When Murasakibara won 5-3, they stopped.

"How's that?" Himuro panted.

Ai rushed to get them bottles of water and thanked them. "It was very helpful."

"He's gotta be over two meters," Hinata whispered.

"Yeah, I see that, dumbass." Kageyama wanted to roll his eyes at the middle blocker's stupidity, but they were as glued to the giant as everyone else's.

"I'm thrilled you came to visit. I was trying to think of ways to implement basketball training into our volleyball practice regimen. As promised, let's go to Sakanoshita." She handed them back their clothes.

"Yay."

"You're really devoted to volleyball," Himuro observed.

"I am," she blushed. "Come, I'll introduce you." She led them over to Hinata who had his knees buckling. "This is Shōyō, Tobio, Kei, and Tadashi. They're all first-years."

"Hey, this one's kinda like Kuro-chin." He grabbed Hinata's orange head with one hand, towering over the younger boy. "I can crush him easily."

The shorter one screeched, on the verge of crying.

"Atsu-kun, stop." She made him release Hinata. "I apologize, Shōyō."

The poor boy shook and was incoherent. The others were terrified as well, a few covering their own heads.

"My apologies as well," Himuro added.

She directed their attention to the next group. "They are Yū, Chikara, Hisashi, Ryu, and Kazuhito. Asahi-san, Sugawara-senpai, Sawamura-senpai, and Kiyoko-senpai are the third-years."