Ch. 24 - Maybe

Chapter 24 - Maybe

My sleep gets interrupted by a knock on my door. I feel like I have slept for just a few seconds but when I open my eyes, I can take a look out of the window and see that the sun is already high in the sky. It's almost noon. I must have slept longer than it feels like. I sigh because I still feel exhausted but then stretch my arms and legs and sit up on my bed. "Come on in" I say. 

The first thing I see is Meliodas' blonde hair as his head peeks in the room, before the rest of his body follows him to step inside. A smile forms on my lips when I see my best friend because no matter how bad I feel, just knowing to have a friend like him never fails to make me smile. And even tho the circumstances aren't good, I'm glad I get to spend time with him again. I haven't seen Meliodas in such a long time and every day I spend with him, makes me realize how much I've really missed bim. 

"I didn't know you were a slugabed" he says playfully and places a glass of water on the table next to my bed.

"I didn't even know I was a good sleeper at all."

"You could think 5.000 years of nightmares is long enough to get used to them" says Meliodas and sits down on the bed next to me and looks at me worriedly.

"I'm not having nightmares lately" I say and am not even lying. How could I even have nightmares when I don't sleep at night at all.

"What's it, then?"

"Just stress, I think. Why haven't you woken me up earlier?"

"Yeah... about that..." he begins and runs his left hand nervously over the back of his head and I know that something is off. I look at him questioning, waiting to spill out what's going on. "There aren't any demons attacking the kingdom. So... we are like having a day off."

"What do you mean? What are they attacking then?"

"Well, that's it. They aren't attacking anything. They're gone."

"They are what? Why should they be gone?"

"I don't know."

I sit up, take a sip of the water Meliodas has brought me and then move my head to look into his green eyes. "What do you think is going on? Do you think the Ten Commandments are behind this?"

"No one else could, hm? I just don't see the reason why. They surely haven't given up."

"Maybe they want us to believe so?"

"Yeah... maybe..." he mumbles as he tries to figure out what's going on. But then he turns to face me and his look is all serious. "There's something else I'm here for."

"I can tell. So what is it?"

"Elizabeth wants to talk to you about something."

"She does? What's it about?"

"I can't tell you. Just know that I'll be there for you, okay? I'll always be there for you, Yami."

"Meliodas, you're acting weird. What's going on?" I ask him and tilt my head to the side in confusion. This whole situation feels so awkward and I haven't seen Meliodas feeling so uncomfortable around me before.

Without answering me, Meliodas gets up and walks over to the door before he turns around to look at me once more. "I love you, Yami. I'm here if you need someone" is the last thing he says before he leaves me alone.

Confused by his actions, I sigh and get up for good. I walk into the bathroom and grab the linen cloth out of the wooden bucket that is filled with fresh water and begin to wash myself. The dirt from last nights experience vanishes but I don't feel any better. The guilt, confusion and pain can't get washed away with water.
I get dressed and then leave the bathroom, walking downstairs, only to find Meliodas, Elizabeth and Hawk sitting there in silence. Now, this is weird. Hawk usually never shuts up, so whatever Elizabeth wants to talk about, it must be really serious and unpleasant.