Ch. 17 - Coming Back [e]

Chapter 17 - Coming Back
Neither Zeldris and I can probably explain why it feels so natural to spend some time together but we end up spending the rest of the night together. We talk about random stuff most of the time and crack some jokes about each other or just sit there in silence. And I know that it's more than just stupid and risky and dangerous but no matter how weird it is, I'm really enjoying the time with him. After all, I have been in love with him and love makes you do stupid things. I haven't seen him for 3.000 years and even if he can't remember me, I enjoy every second with him. Throughout our conversations, there are short moments that show me he's still the same boy I knew 3.000 years ago. Maybe I am wrong and he's just blinding me but I begin to think everything else is just facade. But to be honest, in the end I never fully knew or understood him and I would never dare to say that I can see through him.

"Looks like the night is almost over" I say when I see the dark sky slowly getting lighter.

Zeldris nods and gets up on his feet and I follow him, ready to say goodbye, even though I doubt he's really one who says goodbye. "You're not leaving me again, right?" he asks and I look at him with shock and surprise. His expression has become softer and I can sense a hint of sadness in his eyes.

"W-what did you say?" I stutter. He can't remember anything, so where does his words come from? What does he mean by 'again'... All my hairs stand up as I fear that something went wrong and he still can remember me. But if he can remember me, then why did he ask me who I am just yesterday...

Suddenly, his expression changes again and he's back to what he looked like before, with no hint of sadness. He tilts his head to the side and looks at me puzzled. "Are you okay?" he asks when he sees my worried expression, like he hasn't just asked me to not leave him again.

I quickly catch myself again and trying not to ask further. "What, are you beginning to care about me?" I ask him and see Zeldris grit his teeth angrily. He doesn't answer me. "You know... Tonight wasn't bad" I say to not annoy him even more and his expression changes to amusement.

"I had worse nights" he says.

"Good night, Zeldris" I say and watch him fly away once again.

The sun is slowly rising and it's time for me to travel back to the forest of white dreams. It's been a few days since I've been there and I need to check up on my friends. I haven't been sleeping much because I was meeting up with Zeldris every night but it shall be no excuse to slow down.  I unfold my wings and fly up into the air just shortly after Zeldris has left and fly in the opposite direction.

About two hours later, when I still have a 30-minutes traveling to reach the forest of white dreams,  I already hear a familiar stamping. I see Mama Hawk walking towards me just right behind the next hill, the Boar Hat on her back. I get scared instantly because she shouldn't have left the forest, so I rush over to her. "Mama Hawk, what are you doing? You should still be at the forest of white dreams!"
But Mama Hawk just snorts at me and it isn't that kind of snort where she's answering us, what only Meliodas, King and I can understand anyway. It's just a snort.
"Alright, so we're not talking, huh?" I say and grit my teeth angrily, flying up to her back to finally land and rest.

When I fold my wings back in, I see a very familiar face standing just a few meters away from me, looking straight into my eyes. Surprised, I look into these wonderful green eyes of Meliodas, who I'm sure stood not outside just before. I would have definitely seen him.
Either I must be dreaming or he finally woke up. I want to rush over to him but stand there like paralyzed, unable to move. I blame myself for all the recent events. It's my fault that Elizabeth has regained her memories and King and Diane are still gone. I never wanted to lead the Seven Deadly Sins but I had to and I feel like I failed. What if he doesn't want to see me after everything went so wrong...