Famously Floored

"Hogwarts is no longer safe," Professor McGonagall announced that Monday morning during the weekly staff meeting, "It is as we feared; the Chamber of Secrets has been opened."

The teachers and staff around the room fell gravely silent, each fearing the worse; that the school will be closed down until the threat has been taken care of - if that will ever happen. The school itself was home to many of the staff, some of them had nowhere else to go, their lives were here. And not even to mention the students. Where else would they receive their education? Of course, everyone's safety was the most important matter and no one knew when the next victim will turn up petrified.

"How are the mandrakes coming along, Pomona?" Professor McGonagall asked after her words had a moment to sink in.

"They're still not mature," Professor Sprout stressed, "They won't be ready in another few weeks."

"I feared as much," Minerva's tone was grave and solemn.

Arlyn inched closer to Severus as her thought ran wild with the recent attacks. She was conflicted, debating whether or not to tell the rest of the teachers about the voice in the wall. If she was the only one who could hear it, they would either think her crazy or blaming her for not following it to prevent it from petrifying more victims. It was wiser to keep it to herself, but she couldn't shake the feeling she could do more to help.

"What should we do then?" Hagrid asked in concern, "Close Hogwarts? Send the children home?"

"Calm yourself, Hagrid," all heads turned to stare at Professor Dumbledore, who unexpectedly showed up to join the meeting, "There will be no need for anyone to go anywhere. Hogwarts' doors will remain open, and our students safe. Starting this afternoon, all students will participate in Dueling Club, led by our Defense Against the Dark Arts professor, Gilderoy Lockhart."

At the mention of his name, Gilderoy promptly stood up and took a flamboyant bow, flashing that signature smile of his, "Ah, splendid idea, Professor! I assure you, I shall teach the children everything I know."

"Does that include the seven-hundred-and-fifty-two ways how to use a mirror?" Arlyn muttered under her breath which Severus heard. The Potions Master had to lower his head to hide the smirk creeping onto his face.

"Anyone else who feels like overseeing the lesson may feel free to join Professor Lockhart in his demonstrations." Albus brought the meeting to an end, "Now, let us make for the Great Hall. I heard there are blueberry waffles with ice cream for breakfast."

Arlyn and Severus were the first to slip out of the staffroom for the main goal of avoiding Lockhart. She had no doubt he would ask her to join him at his duelling club sooner or later, something she would've enjoyed participating in if it wasn't for Gilderoy leading it. If anyone asked for her opinion, she would say it was only another opportunity for him to show off and try impressing her again.

Severus walked alongside her in silence, the previous night's revelations still fresh in his thoughts; he's in love with the woman at his side, and while he was sure she might never return his feeling, he would allow himself to savor it. It's been over ten years since he last felt this way, like a flustered teenage boy with a crush on a girl galaxies far out of his league. Even as they walked in silence, his heart was barely beating as he stole a sideways glance at her every now and then.

She looked beautiful today in those high-waisted jeans that showed off the length of her legs, a form-fitting white top which sleeves reached her elbows, and a bright yellow cardigan that gave her that colourful boost, making her unmissable.

The Potions Master felt the tips of his ears getting warmer and was grateful for his hair covering them up. He was never one to blush or get flustered over something as mundane as a woman's looks, yet here he was, feeling like he's marching through a desert in the middle of summer.