What happened on the 3rd floor - Part 2

In his room, Severus was sitting in an armchair in front of a blazing fire, staring into the flames while stuck in a world of bitter memories.

He was back in the meadow where he first met Lily, they were both nine and already outcasts. They've just run from her nightmare of a sister Petunia and was lying on the grass and staring at the clouds. Life was simple then. He still had Lily.

The memory changed and they were eleven, walking through the halls of Hogwarts as first years. Lily had been sorted into Gryffindor and him into Slytherin, the worst thing that could happen honestly - or so he thought back then. Out of the blue, two Gryffindor boys ran past them, knocking their books out of their arms. One of them turned around and flashed them a smirk, his eyes lingering a moment too long on her for his liking. That was the day they first met James Potter.

The next memories were of him being bullied by Potter and his peers, but Severus pushed them away. No, he only wanted to relive those with Lily in it. He only wanted Lily.

And then the most dreadful, the most painful one of the lot stuck in his head. It was the day he lost her the first time. It happened during one of Potter's pranks, the worse one by far. She was only trying to help him, defend him, and he called her that name. That horrible name that ruined everything. She couldn't even look at him, let alone be near him. He apologized the moment he realized what he'd done, but it was too late. He already lost her.

Severus asked himself the same thing he's been wondering since; if that day never happened, if he hadn't called her that name, would anything have changed? Because it seemed to him after he lost Lily, the only decisions he made afterwards were bad ones, and one of them led to her death in the end.

Flashes of her limp body went through his mind, her lifeless eyes, her cold skin... that was a memory he wished he could just forget.

All of this, all of these flashbacks and suppressed feelings he had locked in over the years, it all came back the moment Arlyn Quinn started teaching at Hogwarts

All of this, all of these flashbacks and suppressed feelings he had locked in over the years, it all came back the moment Arlyn Quinn started teaching at Hogwarts. Yes, he still had nightmares about his childhood trauma, about him being bullied, his parents fighting, Lily's death, but Arlyn's presence seemed to trigger it more than ever.