Troll Invaders

"One... more... drop..." Arlyn held her breath as she dripped the last drop of her secret ingredient into her simmering cauldron.

" Arlyn held her breath as she dripped the last drop of her secret ingredient into her simmering cauldron

It bubbled, taking on a clear blueish colour. She leaned in to get a whiff of it, nodding when it smelled about right. There was no telling if her latest attempt was successful yet, it still had to simmer another two hours before she could test it on something. Usually, Arlyn would only test her experiments on plants, but this one was different; it was meant for humans. Which was also why it was so crucial for the potion to be perfect. It was the third time she recreated it that week after it failed a few times. This time it had to work.

Mostly because she has run out of her secret ingredient and obtaining more was difficult, nearly impossible.

Arlyn stepped back and wiped her hands on her dress. Experimenting with potions was a delicate matter and could have serious consequences if something was to go wrong. No wonder she was a bit on edge these past few hours.

All classes have been cancelled for the day due to it being Halloween. The students were ecstatic, of course, and the Weasley twins made it their soul-purpose to go around pulling as many pranks as possible. They were determined to live up to Arlyn's apparent expectations and follow in her footsteps as the record-setting prankster. By no means has she put them up to it, that idea came from them alone. Yes, it was great being a role model to students, but she feared that they might someday take it too far while trying to break her record.

A hoot from the window caught her attention. Arlyn's gaze settled on Duke Owlington on the window seat before taking note of what he pointed out; it was already dark outside, meaning it was almost time for the feast to begin.

"Merlin, is that the time?" She muttered in disbelief, "Thanks for reminding me, Dukie."

She hurried to her closet to throw on something fresh since her current attire smelled of ingredients and cauldron smoke. It was slowly starting to get cooler as winter approached, so she settled for a colourful striped sweater that reached just past her wrists, a strawberry pink skirt that reached above her knees, a pair of peach-coloured tights and, finally, her favourite pair of leather ankle boots.

To top it off, she pinned her hair up in a messy bun and turned to Duke Owlington, "Do I look Halloween-y enough?"

He stared at her in silence.