[ten]

x

aster

aster

With the busyness of settling in, catching up with old friends, learning my new timetables and adjusting to the school schedule, it isn't until the first Friday, that my old friend even crosses my mind. I mentally hit myself, knowing that I'll receive her wrath as soon as I step into the girls lavatory on the second floor. The door creaks open and I walk through the doorway with my heart beating in my ears.

"What are you doing here? I thought you had forgotten all about me," a shrill voice proclaims from above.

I look around and spot Myrtle, sitting on top of one of the bathroom stalls with her transparent legs draping over the side. Her once brown hair is in two pigtails, flowing furiously behind her.

"Hello Myrtle," I greet cautiously, well aware of her mood swings.

"Decided to pay me a visit, have you?" Her eyes narrow accusingly behind her thick rimmed glasses. "Finally remember your old friend, poor Moaning Myrtle?" the ghost squeaks.

"Don't call yourself that," I scold, pointing a stern finger at her, the guilt I once felt long forgotten. "You know I'd never refer to you as that." Stepping over puddles of running water, I walk to just below her so that she has to peer down at me. "Plus, I think the name sounds a bit kinky. Moaning Myrtle. What did you do? Have sex with Sir Nicholas while I was gone?"

Her face scrunches, disgusted with the suggestion. "Ew ew ew ew. Aster, he's like five-hundred years older than me that's so creepy." When she finally reopens her eyes, there's a giddy smile left on her features. "It's been terribly boring all Summer long without any visitors." A small frown appears on her lips. "If only I wasn't confided to these Hogwarts halls."

"Yes well, we both know why you're stuck here. But there's no use thinking it over again and again. Doing that will only upset you," I reason whilst sitting down cross-legged on the floor, away from the trickling water. Myrtle swoops down from her high perch to join me quickly after.

I first met the Ravenclaw when I had gotten into a pretty nasty duel at the end of second year. Not wanting to go to the Hospital Wing and explain my injuries which would no doubt land me detentions for the rest of the month, I went to the only bathroom I knew would be empty – well, mostly empty.

I had heard rumours of a wailing spirit in the girls' bathroom on the second floor, but really, it's not the strangest thing you'll ever see in Hogwarts by a long shot. Myrtle came over to me with accusing eyes, already filled with tears at the prospect of another student coming to make fun of her. But once I had told her that I only came in there to heal my wounds and that the world doesn't revolve around her, she became interested in me and we started talking. I've been visiting the bathroom ever since. I had to work hard to gain even an ounce of her trust. One day I asked why she didn't just leave Hogwarts and she burst in sobs, telling me of what she had done.