[twenty-six]

xxvi

aster

aster

A younger students jumps out of my way with wide eyes as I walk down the halls, my hair falling perfectly behind me. I try to hide a smile as Chris nudges me playfully in the side with a shit eating grin.

"Shut it, Nott," I warn with a roll of my eyes.

"Only if you don't freeze me with your ice powers," he jeers, bringing up the part of the conversation I told him about between myself and Mary last week.

Maybe it's the green ties or the reputations but our walk to Defense Against the Dark Arts is left undisturbed by the people around us, whether they're purposely not catching our eyes or scurrying to be out of out way in case our snake carbon dioxide somehow infects them.

"Miss O'Connor, Mr. Nott, how nice of you to join us," drawls our teacher as we walk in the door. "Any reason for your lack of punctuality?"

The cutthroat woman standing at the top of the classroom gives us both a deadly glare for interrupting her lesson. The curse of the Defense teachers still runs strong as she only arrived this September and will most likely never be seen in a teaching position at Hogwarts again. I like her ways of teaching though, hands on. She gets me working and always pushes me to my fullest potential, resulting in me excelling even more than usual years. She actually allows duels to be had in her room until one person concedes, causing for some heated battles between classmates which I live for. Everyone else turns to look at us from their standing positions at the back of the room.

"Shagging in a broom cupboard, Miss," I reply with an easy smirk. I can just feel the eye roll I'm getting from Nott beside me. "Took a while to clean up the mess."

"Well, please don't let your extra-curricular activities hold up my lesson again," the raven haired woman instructs with a shake of her head. "Join your classmates and take out your wands, no books needed for today."

I place my bag down and smile easily as we join Cyrus, Anthony and Severus against the back wall. Only as I turn around do I realise the unusualness of the setup. Chairs and tables have been stacked against the sides and a large cupboard with mirrors on the doors stands alone in the middle of the room. I stand on my toes as Cyrus holds me steady so that I can tune into the teacher. I spot Lily's flaming hair amongst the crowd.

"Boggarts thrive in dark spaces; beneath beds, small cupboards, kitchen drawers," the Professor knocks twice on the wood, receiving a loud bang and strong shake from within the confines, "and wardrobes. The Boggart is currently unaware what shape it's going to take as there is no person for it to latch onto yet. Nobody knows a Boggart's true form, but once I let the dark creature out, it will immediately become whatever each of us fears most."

"Fucking cool," I hear Potter mutter from somewhere to my left. I almost stomp my foot like a child, annoyed that that was the exact thought running through my head as well.