[thirty]

xxx

aster

aster

I pull the large sleeves of my knitted brown sweater over my hands as students pass me on their way to breakfast, their uniforms trailing behind them. I feel like the odd one out, the outlier. A simple handmade jumper in such contrast with the uniform and elegant outfits of every other student. I've always owned simple Muggle clothes as I never lived in an all magic estate. Some whispers reach my ears but I pay them no mind, downturning my head to instead focus on bringing me to my destination.

I sit distractedly as my friends chatter around me, all of them mindful of how I don't wish to talk this morning and instead filling in the lost sound with their own. Regulus keeps a supportive hand on my knee all the way through. A letter lands on my empty plate. I recognise the seal immediately. The talk around me suddenly stops as I pick up the envelope with slight tremors in my hands. The paper is crisp and perfectly smooth. How else would a letter from the O'Connor family arrive?

To Asteria,

The family savings have been placed into your vault at Gringots. I shall give you the keys once you return home. Your Summerly ballet classes, manners lessons, etiquette teachings, decorum teachings, house keeping lessons and duelling preparation classes are over. You are an adult. Now that you are no longer a child you may stop addressing me as your father, it has been shortening my patience for some time now. You belong to another man now; your future husband.
I was burdened with you when you killed my wife and shall be glad once you are wed and can move out of the family home. Every day you grow more and more like your mother, reminding me of what you took away.

Pierce O'Connor.

"Bit uncalled for," murmurs Regulus from my side. I give him a weary smile.

Afraid that I might abandon the day completely and curl up in bed, I don't meet my friends' eyes as I say goodbye to them as they head to class. With a long sigh, I make my way towards the Headmaster's office. The room is filled with thousand year old books, magical trinkets of all sorts and paintings that eye me up and down before turning away in disinterest. Only Salazar Slytherin keeps his eyes trained.

McGonagall meets me with a pitying smile, the same one she's worn on this day every year since I was twelve.

"Dumbledore is currently at a meeting, but I'm sure you know the gist by now." I nod solemnly. The wise witch places her hand on my shoulder, with a tut saying, "You have been forced to grow up too fast, my dear."

I almost melt into her warm touch but I hold my ground, not wanting to give off any more weakness than I already have today.

"Can I go now, please?"

"Yes, of course," decides McGonagall with a sharp nod. Her dark navy cloak swishing elegantly as she steps towards the fireplace. "You know where to go, yes?"