[nine]

ix

aster

aster

In Ancient Studies the group consists of sixth and seventh year students – from different houses because of the small amount of us – all eager to know more about the subject that branches from History of Magic. I didn't know many there so I was delighted when a seventh year Ravenclaw by the name of Amelia Bones asked if I'd like to sit with her. I could hardly contain my excitement when Professor Bagshot walked through the door. The now elderly and grey woman still knows volumes upon volumes on the subject. It make sense though, she did write the books.

The rest of the day mainly consisted of teachers telling us that "Even though we've done our O.W.L.s, it doesn't mean that we can sit back and relax yada yada yada."

In transfiguration, I received a pointed look from McGonagall after laughing at a surprised Hufflepuff who promptly fainted when the professor turned their desk into a cow. Even five minutes later, I was still suppressing chuckles with Nott beside me.

"Potions with Gryffindor's next," complains Warrington with a groan as we make our way to the dungeons. Running a hand through his blond hair he adds, "Last year I had to be partners with Lovegood and sit through him explaining over and over again how to catch a Crumple-Horned Snorkack or whatever that is."

I nudge him gently in the ribs. "Don't complain about him, Anthony. He managed to drag you up three grades. Salazar, you should be kissing his feet."

"But I've heard he walks barefoot through the woods," he whispers animatedly. "His feet would be hella dirty."

I roll my eyes at him and turn to Cyrus when he speaks in an annoyed tone. "I swear if Slughorn does his stupid inter-house unity seating plan again I'll chop off my balls."

"As if you have balls now," I tease.

As the other boys burst with laughter, Zabini turns to me with an amused expression. "What was that Aster? I don't think I heard you correctly."

"I um— gotta blast."

I break from the group and weave my way through students at a fast pace. Laughter escapes my lips as I look over my shoulder to spot Zabini fighting through crowds wearing a matching smile. Suddenly, I bump right into someone, causing for me to stumble off balance. Strong hands hold onto my forearms to steady me.

"Oh Merlin, sorry." With a grateful smile I look up to see none other than Sirius Black wearing his signature smirk.

"Falling into me, O'Connor? Wow. Don't think I haven't gotten that one before," he says. His fellow Gryffindors let out snickers from behind him.

My eyebrows furrow in irritation. "What nonsense are you babbling about, Black?"

He shakes his head. "I wouldn't have pinned you for the 'playing dumb type'. You know; you fall into me, I catch you, we look into each others eyes, you think that I'll fall in love with you because you're 'not like other girls'. Don't feel bad about it, loads of others have tried that trick too," he explains cockily.