[twenty-eight]

xxviii

aster

"He's absolutely horrid!"

"I agree, oh trust me I do, but that doesn't mean you haven't been giving him goo-goo eyes since the beginning of the year."

Myself and Lily make our way down to Hogsmeade, not taking the carriages so that we can enjoy the walk. After spending the morning with Severus in his stuffy dorm, it feels good to have a breath of fresh air. The Sun radiates down on us, melting away the final frost of Christmas. Only a few weeks into January and the Scottish weather is granting us with a surprisingly fine day out. I wear some of Lily's Muggle jeans – which do wonders for my curves might I add – and a bright string top.

"Aster, you're talking out of your hole."

"As much as I love crude-languaged Lily, you will not distract me from the topic at hand," I assure. "You've started to soften up to Potter haven't you?"

She bites her lip in contemplation, brows furrowed deeply. "I guess he has become more.. manageable. He's stopped making such a big scene by asking me out and he seems to have become quite studious, despite his Marauder ways. Like that one time we were put as partners for Herbology—"

"I'd say he nearly creamed his trousers."

"—and he actually got down to work and was quite well.. fun to be around. Sure he talks about Quidditch a whole lot but I don't particularly mind, seeing how passionate he is about the sport. I can't deny how dashing he looks in that Quidditch jersey." I raise an eyebrow at her as she quickly moves on. "Also since Mary and Peter are dating we've been hanging around with the whole group whenever her nerves start to act up. They can actually be quite a laugh and not one hundred percent tossers."

As much as I dislike Potter, it seems my best friend is smitten for him, and who would I be to let my own petty rivalry get in the way of that. Let's be honest here, the enemies I make here will mean nothing to me once I graduate. I'll be on a different path by then. For the moment they simply fill the void whilst also fuelling some hatred which helps to let off some steam. I must admit I've always been slightly jealous of Lily: her easy smiles, her approachable exterior and her ability to choose.

"Seems like you have a little cruuuuush," I say in a singsong voice.

She turns to me sharply, an appalled look gracing her pretty features. "Why in the world would you say that? I most certainly do not."

I chuckle at her denying remarks. "The reddening of your cheeks is a tiny bit of a giveaway, Lils."

Her face contorts into humiliated anger and at that I begin to sprint down the path in order to get away from her wrath. "Must be sunburn, you know how sensitive my skin is to the rays. Being blessed with ginger genes also comes with the ability to burn up like a crisp," she proclaims. Then I hear her break into a run behind me. "A CRISP I TELL YOU. NO CRUSHES BEING HAD OVER HERE. HEY GET BACK I NEED TO KNOCK SOME SENSE INTO YOU."