[eight]

xiii

warning: mention of pressured sex near end of chapter

aster

I awake suddenly to the sound of a door slamming. Jolting upright in bed, I switch on my bedside lamp to look at the clock.

Ugh. Mornings. I mean seriously, when has anybody in history ever done something remotely impressive before ten o'clock?!

I settle back down to go back to sleep but my owl Wool has other plans. Her jet black wings flap in my face and I shoo her away with a scowl. Coming to the conclusion that she won't leave me alone until I get up, I decide to sit up in bed and give her a pointed look.

"I'm not happy with you," I proclaim, rubbling the sleep out of my eyes.

She simply stares at me with her yellow orbs and blinks innocently. I named her Wool when we first got her to replace our family owl that had grown too old. I was three and could just about annunciate. Originally I had tried to name her Owl but couldn't form a coherent 'ow' sound. My mother found this hilariously cute and so she's been known as Wool ever since. She's unnecessarily aggressive at times and will bite your finger if not fed immediately after returning from a journey, but that's probably just because I gave her a shitty name.

After swinging my legs around to the side of the bed, I trudge over to my trunk with tired steps. I've never been a big fan of the robe part of the school uniform. They say that it's a necessity to wear it but they really only apply that to the younger years. After around fourth year they just stop caring, as did I. Whilst arranging the tie around my neck I glance at myself.

Lily would definitely scold me for the length of my skirt. Or lack thereof.

It suddenly dawns on me that it's the first day back and skip gleefully out of the room, feeling much more excited for the day. I pull my hair into a messy ponytail as I descend the stairs into the common room. I don't even have to check to make sure that it looks good. With my veela powers, I could wear old Dumbles' grey beard and still look attractive.

The two boys still haven't emerged from their dorms so I sit back, cast a quick heating charm over myself and admire the common room around me.

Homely is not a word that comes to mind.

An extravagantly carved fireplace currently holds steady green flames. Similarly coloured lamps hang from the stone ceiling and litter the cobbled walls. There are long wooden desks in which work can be done at. Usually, you can find students slaving away in hunched over positions desperately trying to finish one of their homework assignments. I don't even have to look around the room to know that multiple long windows display the Black Lake's deep waters, which look more of a green colour because of the tinted glass.