[nineteen]

xix

warning: brief mention of physical abuse

aster

"Did you know that if someone is under the effects of Polyjuice Potion and they die, they will retain the form of whoever they have transformed into, rather than reverting back to their original state?"

"Fascinating," I comment sarcastically, carrying one Butterbeer in each hand. "Please tell me more facts about death to brighten the mood."

Severus rolls his eyes but closes the book, placing it on top of the two other ones resting on the table. He accepts the drink greedily and takes a long sip. I follow his lead and do the same. My body instants feels cosier. Now that December has officially begun, the grounds are coated in a layer of thick snow, causing for a beautiful scene and a freezing arse.

"How did you manage to ditch the fiancé?" the longhaired boy asks, placing his drink down.

I groan in annoyance. "Using Polyjuice Potion myself to escape this morning would've been easier. I got up at seven, snuck out and then kept sleeping 'til ten in the Boathouse and then woke up again to meet you."

"Salazar," breathes Severus, "we've got to do something about this."

"There's nothing you can do." I plonk my head down on the wooden table. "Trust me I've tried to find any loophole in the world of loopholes."

Severus chuckles from above. "I've missed you."

I look up to see him smiling softly at me. "You see me every day."

"You know what I mean." He pushes my shoulder. "You've been a bit on edge recently, and I know it's because of the engagement and everything but I've still missed you."

I look away from him guiltily. He'd kill me if he knew what else I'm hiding. If anything the bruises and marks have gotten worse. More and more seem to appear almost every day. Before they could settle for a while and get lighter, but now more just keep being added. I grab one of Severus' books to distract him from the conversation at hand.

"Why have you called yourself Severus Prince on this one?" I enquire, pointing to the inside cover of his Potions textbook.

He rubs the back of his neck sheepishly. "Just wondering how it looked. It's my mom's last name."

"Thinking of changing your name?" I laugh.

Severus doesn't join me. "I don't think I wanna be associated with my dad anymore," he mutters, just loud enough for me to hear.