Chapter 1: Welcome to Beacon

"Kai? Is that you?"

"Huh?"

Kai Blaze stifled a yawn and blinked open his bright blue eyes. He had never been too good with long trips and this airship ride to Beacon Academy was no different. He tended to sleep through most of them, which was going fine, at least till his nap was interrupted.

Kai looked up at the face of the perpetrator, a green eyed, red headed girl he immediately recognised.

Kai: "Pyrrah Nikos, fancy meeting you here". It's not like the two were close friends or anything like that. Pyrrah and Kai simply knew each other from a particular incident they were both involved in some years ago.

Pyrrah smiled, "Well I could say the same about you. What are you even doing here?"

Kai: "Whaddya think? Going to Beacon, same as you"

Pyrrah: "Yeah but, why? Aren't you..." Before she could finish her statement, Kai put up his left hand, a signal for her to stop talking.

Kai: "Could you maybe not talk about that?" Pyrrah widened her eyes in surprise, then smiled in understanding, "Alright then, anyway, are you excited about this school year? I for one can't wait to start".

Kai looked around the airship at the other new students. There was a guy doing a silly dance in front of his friends, some red head girl wearing a...cape?, who looked like she was hyperventilating, a pretty blonde girl trying to calm her down and some guy puking in the corner. Great.

Kai: "I'm veeery exciteeed", he raised his hands with mock enthusiasm. Pyrrah simply laughed, "Just give it a chance, I'm sure you'll come to like it here". Kai rolled his eyes, "Well that remains to be seen"

His eyes darted to a holographic screen reporting news about a robbery led by notorious criminal Roman Torchwick, who according to the news, "continues to evade authority", and then some news about a White Fang attack at  a faunus civil rights protest. Suddenly the news was cut off and a woman appeared on the screen.

???: Hello and welcome to Beacon. My name is Glynda Goodwitch. You are among the privileged few who have been selected to attend this prestigious academy". Kai scoffed and muttered under his breath, "more like forced".

Glynda: "Our world is experiencing an incredible time of peace and as future huntsmen and huntresses, it is your duty to uphold it. You have demonstrated the courage needed for such a task, and now it is our turn to provide you with the knowledge you need to protect our world"

Pyrrah: "Hey look we're almost at the academy". Kai looked out of the window, with everyone else, at the academy looming in the distance, sitting on top of a cliff. Well all things considered it had a pretty nice view.

"Huuurgh"

Kai's attention was immediately drawn to the puking guy, who was apparently still puking. He ran past the previous red head and blonde girls, into another corner to.. puke some more. Seriously? Ugh. Kai looked back at the window, when his attention was drawn yet again, this time by the two girls who realized that some vomit had gotten on their shoes.

Blonde: "Gross gross gross gross gross gross"

Red head: "Get away from me, Get away from me, Get away from me". Kai groaned and leaned his head against the window. This thing had better land soon or he was jumping out himself.

Well believe it or not, the airship finally landed. First one out was the guy Kai had mentally dubbed "vomit boy", he ran out to a nearby trash can to...puke. Somebody get this guy a doctor or something.

Pyrrah: "Well Kai I'll see you around campus", she waved to him as she walked away with the crowd. "Yeah I'll see you too I guess", he replied with uncertainty. By now all the students had come down. There was just him and vomit boy left, who was just about done puking. Kai let out a small sigh.