Chapter 6: Intersectional Empowerment of the Disempowered

Author's remark: like I said in the beginning of this book, every two chapters we are going back and forth between Nardho's voice notes as an adult and Nardho's diary as a teenager. This is the teenage POVHow to tell the difference? The adult POV exclusively deals with married life and the teenage POV exclusively deals with adventures of college students.

August 21st 2626

It did not take long for Moira to finally reveal her grand idea for her student-led enterprise. As soon as we returned to the dormitory after talking with our professors, she asked me if I have ever thought of how people with disabilities aren't always valued in their efforts to make their communities better—Moira's argument was that in social and radical movements like body positivity campaign, environmental sustainability awareness campaign, anti-racism campaign, and gender equality campaigns, the leading voices are overwhelmingly able-bodied. Moira was concerned that those whose voices deserved to be heard are cast aside, silenced, and dismissed.

"I think I get you, but what does all of this have to do with saving the half-seahorse half-dolphin hybrid species? Also, how does all this translate to something entrepreneurial?" I asked.

"Among the four planets in our solar system, Black Elm is the planet with the darkest history of discrimination against the disabled, right? I want to research the current news to see if disabled Black Elm residents are even involved in this movement to save the Kulambas. If they are not involved, I want to understand why. If it is because the non-disabled community has undervalued their opinions, then I would like to offer the local community of people with disabilities some public speaking classes at a reasonable cost so that they can raise up and show that they, too, have valuable insights to advance the saving Kulambas agenda." Moira told me matter-of-factly.

"So, you are saying that the disabled community should be fully integrated into the non-abled community, is that it? But how are you going to arrange public speaking classes?"

"We need the support of everyone in our friendship group. Let's ask Johan to help us set up a meeting with everyone and then we can brainstorm our friends' feedbacks too!"

I texted my older brother to see where he was and he replied saying that, as usual, he was in the library with Kenta. He could, however, spare some time to listen to Moira and me provided that we wouldn't mind having babies around. Johan has brought Naoko and LJ with him. He sent me a picture of him and the babies just strolling around the campus. My heart instantly melted.

NS: I still can't believe that I'm an uncle now. I'm gonna spoil them rotten.

JS: Yeah, I know you will. What about your girlfriend, is she okay with kids?

NS: Is that even a question? She's the nicest and if she loves me she surely will love my nephew and niece. No worries, I don't think the babies will bother her. Has anyone been mean?

JS: It's just that some people think kids are the worst. Just wanna make sure because this is the first time I will introduce mine and Johan's kids to her. Babies wail a lot, you know? LJ and Naoko have not been wailing, fortunately, but in case they start to whine I want to know that Moira isn't going to be rude about it. Babies can be over-the-top loud and frustrating sometimes.

"Holy guacamole, honey, if you're an uncle can I be their auntie?" Moira stared at my phone screen. I knew she would say that. I tussled her hair and nodded— it is comforting to know that she sees herself as a part of my family. Ironically, I haven't met hers—except Neesa, of course.

"Yeah, I'm not technically related to the babies because they're not biologically my brother's, but biological kids and adopted kids are kids all the same to me. You don't have to be born into a family to become part of a family—sometimes a family choose you or you choose them."