The Quarantine Diaries II

day two

meredith's pov:

"Ugh, it burns"

Addison's voice sounded from the lump of blankets on the corner of her bed. She sounded raspy, still plagued with sleep, and I couldn't help but chuckle. Though, I was no better, flat on my back staring at the ceiling as my head pounded at the light streaming in through the open curtains.

"We forgot to close the curtains. Rookie move" I mumble, rolling over on my side to stand up and go to the bathroom. I was up now; the light disturbed my sleep, and now my bladder was backing it up.

The hangover was real as I winced at the bathroom light before peeing quickly and washing my hands. I looked at my reflection in the mirror and nearly cringed at how horrible I looked. My hair was sticking up every which way, and my eyes were lined with dark circles.

Definitely a proper hangover look.

I turned on the cold water to splash onto my face, and ran my damp fingers through my hair to keep it somewhat neat.

Then, I just gave up and decided to make some breakfast. My stomach was growling, and I needed some Advil to keep my head from physically pounding out of my skull.

"Coffee?" I ask Addison groggily, trudging to the Keurig on the counter. I hear a grunt of approval from the lump on the bed, and I can't help the chuckle that leaves my lips. "I'll take that as a yes then"

While the first cup brewed, I tracked down my purse to rummage through it for a bottle of Advil I knew must've made its way to the bottom.

When I found it, I shook a couple in my hand; I figured Addison would need one too, judging by her current state.

Humming under my breath, I pop a couple slices of bread down into the toaster and find a couple of mugs for the coffee. I knew if I ate something and had some caffeine before my hangover got worse, I could avoid the worst of it.

Addison, so it seemed, was dead to the world.

Mindlessly, I buttered the toast and put cream and sugar into the coffee. Still humming absentmindedly, I made my way over to Addison's bed and placed her coffee, toast and Advil on her nightstand.

"Breakfast is served" I say, going back over to my own bed to climb in with my coffee and my toast, wasting no time before downing the Advil and reaching for the remote to flick the tv on.

"I like that song" she mumbles from her mound of pillows, her head turning to face me, her hair askew around her face. It made me smile, to see her so unkept and so human, not because she was any less attractive, but because she was really stunning. Even hungover in bed, she managed to be breathtaking.

I mean, anyone with eyes could tell she was gorgeous, but this was different.

"What song?" I ask, breaking myself out of my thoughts to turn the channel to something interesting. I didn't even know what song she had heard, and I didn't listen to a lot of music so I couldn't have guessed if I tried.

"You were humming" she mumbles again, and I can't help the smirk on my lips knowing she still wasn't yet emerged from her carefully constructed cocoon.

"Oh" I say dumbly "it's Tiny Dancer, by Elton John. It was on the radio the other day and I just...yeah" I didn't know what else to say, but I knew I was being awkward. "I don't listen to a whole lot of music, just whatever's on in the car. I like Elton John, though"

Suddenly, I didn't know how to act. I kept my eyes glued to the tv, flicking through the different channels for something to watch.

I hear shuffling beside me, but I don't break my eyes away to look. In the corner of my eyes, I can see her sitting up to reach for the cup of coffee and the Advil on her nightstand.