You're so beautiful

"Meredith, she's looking at you" Cristina said lowly, as she munched on some chips and flipped absently through a textbook "it's getting creepy. I don't know why she's suddenly obsessed with you"

I hadn't noticed myself, I never seemed to notice the little details, but when I looked over my eyes met the ocean blue ones of Addison Montgomery. She smiled, then turned her attention onto something else, leaving me confused.

"I never even noticed" I mutter, unsure of why she'd been staring. Nothing escaped Cristina's watchful eye, and I was grateful for that. She could've had a telescope on me and I wouldn't have been none the wiser.

"She didn't glare at you or give you and dirty looks" Cristina mused "I don't know what kind of drugs she's been shooting up, but apparently it's strong shit"

Addison and I had little to no interaction. We kept our distance, and did our work. We barely crossed paths, and when we did everything was polite and professional. Neither of us were petty enough to let our feelings affect our work.

"Maybe she just didn't realize she was staring at me. She probably zoned out or something" I shrug it off, choosing not to think any more of it. If she had a problem with me, she would've confronted me.

"I don't know" Cristina said with a shrug "but that didn't look like absent minded staring to me"

I just rolled my eyes, and continued on with my day.

~

"She's staring again" Cristina came up behind me as I filled in charts at the nurses station. Addison stood at the opposite side with a chart of her own, and when I looked up at her, she was again looking right back at me.

I averted my eyes quickly, like I hadn't noticed she was looking. I didn't want awkward eye contact, and I didn't want her to know I'd seen her staring.

That was just too weird for me.

"That is a little weird" I admit, flipping a page "but I don't want to think to much of it. It's probably nothing"

"Oh please" Cristina scoffed "you think everything is nothing. With you, it's either a huge deal or it doesn't matter. There's no in between"

I knew she was right; it was always all or nothing with me. But frankly, I didn't want this to take up too much of my time. Thinking about it wouldn't do me any good.

"Maybe you're getting fired and she's giving you pity looks" Cristina suggests evilly "I bet she knows something you don't"

"Cristina" I sigh "why do you read so much into this stuff? I promise you it is nothing"

"You can't promise something you don't know"

~

The third time I caught her staring all on my own.

I was waiting for the elevator and she was standing next to me, I hadn't even noticed her I was so immersed in the textbook I'd been reading. I had a surgery later that day that I was determined to be prepared for.

When the elevator bell went to signal the doors opening, I looked up and was met yet again with those big blue eyes staring back at me. What I felt next, was something I'd never felt for her before.

Butterflies.

The way she was looking at me, it made my stomach flutter wildly. Looking into her eyes, which were quite gorgeous now that I'd taken the time to look closely, I felt myself become weak in the knees.

Shaking my head to snap out of the trance she'd managed to put me in, I smiled and turned quickly on my heels to go somewhere, anywhere else. Being trapped in an elevator with her was not on my agenda for the day.

I found Cristina as fast as humanly possible, in the locker room with a textbook of her own cracked open. She was nothing if not prepared.

"I felt butterflies" I say bluntly, not wanting to beat around the bush "I don't know what's happening to me but she stared at me and I saw and I got this weird feeling in my stomach and her eyes and my eyes and-" Cristina cut off my rambling with a laugh.

"Meredith" she says, shoving her book to the side "calm down. You said it's nothing, remember?" She throws my words back in my face sarcastically because she's known this whole time it was not nothing.

"The way she looked at me" I sigh "Cristina I don't know what's happening to me" I was terrified, unsure of what Addison was doing to me.

"You've got a crush" Cristina says plain and simple "it's not a big deal, maybe it'll be something bigger and maybe it won't be. Either way, don't think too much on it" she attempts to reassure me, but her attempts fall short and I'm panicking again.

"She's a woman! Cristina I am not gay! I do not have a crush on her!" This concept was foreign to me, I'd never liked girls before. Sure, I'd had my fair share of adventures in Europe but that was all just for fun. None of it ever meant anything.

"So?" Cristina deadpans. "She's still a human. With a heart. And feelings. Who gives a shit what she's packing in her pants?"

When she put it like that, it was simple. And I found comfort in that.

"You're right" I decide "it's not like it's a big deal. It'll go away in a couple days, it's probably just because she was looking at me"

Still, I wasn't quite sure.

~

After a week of catching her staring, a whole week of my stomach erupting in butterflies and my whole body going tingly, I decided to confront her.

She was looking at me again, this time on the elevator. Right next to me, I could feel her gaze burning into my head, and I almost wanted to scream.

Abruptly, I pull the emergency stop to halt the elevator in its tracks. Before she can ask any questions, I ask mine first, not one to waste time.

"Why do you stare at me?" I demand, a hand on my hip "I've noticed you staring at me and I don't know why. It's concerning, if you've got a problem with me just let me know"

Her eyes go wide and she looks mildly uncomfortable. As if she's embarrassed because she didn't think I saw her looking at me.

"I'm not mad" I sigh, thinking she was probably terrified of me now "I just don't know why you're looking at me"

"I didn't think you'd notice" she says finally, a thick layer of awkward confusion in the air.

"How could I not notice you?" It's out before I can stop it, and I'm mentally punching myself. But it's true; how could I not notice this beautiful woman with her gorgeous eyes constantly on me?

She blushes a little and I feel my face burn. So far, this was not going well. I wouldn't have been surprised to get a call from human resources later on that day.

"I'm sorry if I make you uncomfortable" she apologizes "I just can't help it"

"Why?" I ask, confused. Nothing seems to be making sense to me anymore.

"You're so beautiful"

My heart stopped in my chest and I felt like I'd just had the wind knocked out of me. There was no way this was real life, there was no way she was standing in front of me saying these words.

The butterflies in my stomach went wild, and my mind went blank. I wasn't sure how to respond, I didn't have any words that seemed to fit the situation.

So, I leaned forward in a moment of bold courage, and I kissed her.