Chapter 10

Carly's P.O.V

"They're going to kill Taren!" Orlando hollered and began to open the car door but I lunged to close it.

"You can't confront them," I admitted. "They'll kill you before you get a word out."

Orlando deserved to know the truth. These men have been after me for almost 2 years now. My dad's money put crazy ideas in people's heads. I couldn't go to the police or tell anyone. They'd hurt everyone that I loved if I did that.

"If this is what you deal with when you're rich, I'm happy with being part of the middle class." He explained and held up his hands.

"Okay, I can get Taren to safety if you let me use your phone," I demanded and held out my hand. "I've slipped out from underneath them for years now."

He dug in his pockets for a second and pulled out a black flip phone,"You better be right, Carly."

I studied the phone and turned it around in the palm of my hand, "What the hell is this?"

"What?" Orlando spat as I looked at the ancient thing with disgust. "It's my phone."

"Why do you still have this fossil? Are these even still considered phones? Don't you have an iPhone?" I suggested and flipped it open to a dirty screen and small buttons.

"Are we seriously going to argue about this while my cousin might be getting kidnapped?" He rubbed his temps and shook his head with disbelieve.

"Fine." I mimicked a sarcastic tone and pressed the contact button. "I'm just trying to help."

"Help Taren not get taken by those goons."

"Goons and a flip phone? You're like an 80 year old man." I scoffed laughter and scrolled down to the T's in his contacts.

"Not everybody can have nice things like you, princess," Orlando said and crossed his arms after flicking on the AC. "I'm old school because I don't want to get tangled in this mess we call the 21st century."

"I don't always get nice things, Orlando. There's more to a rich persons life then money and shinny possessions." I proved a was flustered with anger. I found Taren's name, pushed the tiny green cell phone button and held it up to my ear.

"I'll believe it when I see it." He stated with a irritated sigh. I rolled my eyes but let his side remarks slide, there's more important things that I have to deal with.

Taren's P.O.V

The Ferris wheel began to slowly spin as they boarded new riders into the wheel. My phone buzzed in my pocket and I fished it out, throwing Jase a grin.

The caller ID read Orlando and I knew that he was probably calling me to say that he saw me and was at the bottom of the Ferris wheel to drag me back home. Jase would never speak to me again since I lied to him and my life would go back to being boring and uneventful. I pressed answer anyways.

"Orlando, let me explain." I whispered into the phone with a hand covering my mouth.

"I'm not Orlando," A woman's voice answered and I cocked an eyebrow. "It's Carly."

"Why are you calling me from Orlando's phone?" I spat as Jase gave me a concerned look. I held up one finger to tell him to wait.

"You're in danger. There's men waiting for you below the Ferris wheel that want to kidnap you." Carly summed up the whole story and my jaw dropped. She must have seen me with Jase and is trying to get revenge.

"Carly, I know you aren't good friends with Jase but I like him and you can't try to prank me. I'm not letting you ruin this date for me."

"You're on a date with my annoying neighbor Jase?" Her voice seemed to be laced with shock and then I realized that this wasn't a prank. "How dare you go out with him. You're messing with my life, Taren."

"You're messing with my life too." I whisper shouted back as the ride began to turn again.

"He doesn't like you, not really," Carly hissed, there was venom in her voice. "He's in love with me and once he finds out that you're you, he'll come crawling about to me."

My body raced with anger and sadness but I wasn't going to let that show,"He said that you've changed for the better. I don't care what you have to say because soon enough, I'll be with my family that cares about me since all you have to take care of you are maids."

Silents fell between the line and I knew that I hit a nerve. I expected to hear yelling and screaming or for her to hang up and let me face the danger on my own but she just started giving me the plan. "Once you get off the ride you are going to walk to the ticket booth and buy 1,000 tickets. After that, you're going to go into the arcade and throw the tickets in the middle of the building. As the kids are fighting over the free tickets and the parents are trying to tame the chaos, you're going to slip out the back door, got it?"

"I got it." I stated and hung up before she could get another hurtful word out. Why did I say those horrible things to her? That's not me. This life is starting to take affect on me.

"Is everything okay, Carly?" Jase rubbed my shoulder and I pushed all my mixed feelings to the back of my mind.

"Everything is just fine," I answered and leaned into his shoulder. I had to tell Jase the plan without telling him that I'm dodging danger. "Want to know something?"

"What?" Jase smiled and kissed the top of my head.

"Every time I come to the pier, when I'm about to leave I buy a bunch of tickets and give then away to some of the kids in the arcade." I lied and looked up to him, fluttering my eyelashes as the ride came closer to the ground again.

"Who are you and what have you done with the stuck up Carly I use to know?" Jase chuckled and I laughed with him. If he keeps talking about how horrible the old Carly was, then why did he like her? From the looks of it, she hated Jase and barley talked to him.

"Thank you for riding the Ferris wheel." A staff woman said with a grin as our cart came to a stop. She opened the tiny gate for Jase and I to exit the ride.

The plan was put in motion. I raced to the ticket booth and bought 1,000 tickets before heading to the giant arcade. I glanced behind me to see the men I ran into earlier and then I picked up my pace.

"Free tickets!" I shouted and tossed them up in the air as kids lunged at them and parents started to hollered at their kids to stop rough housing. Jase and I slipped out of the back door and headed for his car in the parking lot.

"You're fast, Carly." Jase admitted as he panted for air. I was on track at my school and that run was nothing.

"I'm full of surprises." I chuckled as he dug in his pocket for his keys. Pulling out my phone, I texted Orlando to let him know I was safe from those men in black.

To: Orlando

Escaped from the danger, heading back to Carly's house.

I sighed and sent it as Jase started the car. I walked from the front of the car to the passenger door as my phone pinged.

To: Taren

Next time you're on your own. You need my help, don't test me -Carly

I stared at the text for a second and locked my phone before shoving it in my pocket. I opened the car door and slipped inside. I was greeted with a blast of cool air and the radio sang some popular, pop song.

"Tonight was fun." Jase recalled as he backed out of the parking spot and raced out onto the open road. "We should do this again sometime."

"Definitely." I smiled but it faded quickly as I thought of what Carly said about Jase and I.

"He doesn't like you, not really. He's in love with me and once he finds out that you're you, he'll come crawling about to me."

a/n

Thanks for reading and voting!

xoxo, Leah.