Chapter 9

Carly's P.O.V

"You're horrible at this." I chuckled as Orlando threw baseballs at the plastic bottles. He looked pathetic trying to win a stuffed animal. A buzzer rang out, meaning times up.

"All these games are rigged, anyways." Orlando muttered under his breathe.

"Really? Well, I bet I could win a game against you." I bragged while dusting fake dust off my shoulder.

"Challenge accepted, princess." He nodded and dashed to another booth. Let the game begin.

Taren's P.O.V

Carly and Orlando went from booth to booth playing different games. I made sure to stay at least 50 feet away from them while keeping an eye on where they were.

"What are you looking at?" Jase asked as I ducted behind a booth.

"I thought I saw someone I know." I awkwardly laughed and stood up to face him.

"Wanna play one of the games? I'll win you a stuffed animal." He poked my side and I let out a slight laugh. I needed to be less stressed and have a fun time with Jase.

"We need two more player to start the game!" A loud voice echoed over the speakers and Jase jumped at the chance. He dragged me over to a yellow booth with a horse racing game.

"I hope you don't expect me to go easy on you." Orlando's voice said from beside me. My eyes widened and I quickly covered my face with my hair. Of course this would be the game Jase wanted to play.

"Start on the buzzer." The man ordered as he pocketed Jase's money.

I hesitantly aimed for the water target that made the horse move forward. Seems easy enough to lose so no attention was directed towards me.

*BUZZ!*

Jase aimed the water gun at the target with determination.

A mist sprayed in the air as the game continued. I glanced up at the players board and saw race horse #4 neck and neck with #1. Jase's gun was marketed with a black 4. Before I could stop myself, I shoved Jase's gun to the side. The final buzzer rang and number 1 was the winner.

I hauled Jase towards the food carts before we were seen. Jase violently ripped his hand from my grasp.

"What is going on? You've been acting weird since we got here." He aggravatingly pointed out.

"I'm sorry," I apologized and Jase draped an arm around me. I felt horrible for lying to him. "I thought I saw an ex-boyfriend and I can't deal with that right now."

"It's okay," Jase said and kissed my cheek. A smile spread across my face as I looked up at him.

"Let's ride the Farris wheel." I suggested and quickly spun around, bumping into a very tall man in a suit. His eyes narrowed down at me as I awkwardly shuffled under his gaze. "Oh, excuse me."

••

"Keep all body parts inside the ride at all times." The worker directed and shut the small door to the box. The wheel slowly turned and the beautiful beach came into view.

"Look how beautiful this view is." I gawked and quickly took a pictures with my phone.

The small box came to a jolting stop at the top of the ride. I glanced over at Jase who was closer to me than before, putting an arm around me. He pushed a loose strand of my hair behind my ear.

"You've been different since you came back to California." He noticed and rubbed my shoulder.

"Is that a good thing?"

"Definitely." Jase answered as he inches closer to my lips. This time I didn't pull away.

Did I really want to kiss Jase when he didn't know the real me? The ride jerked forward and we both pulled away as the ride started up again. The answer is no.

Carly's P.O.V

"You must've cheated or something." Orlando chuckled. He sat adjacent from me at a picnic table. I ordered a small fry while he had a cheese burger.

"I like to win, what can I say?" I laughed while sipping on my strawberry smoothie. I dipped a fry into the drink and Orlando cringed at the sight of it.

"Doesn't that taste disgusting?"

"Try it. It's actually not as bad as you think it would be." I handed him a fry and he hesitantly dipped it before chewing it with a smile.

Orlando's actually not that bad of a guy. I've gotten to know him over these past few days and I already feel close to him. That same feeling in my stomach returned and I tried to push it to the back of my mind. I scanned the pier and noticed two familiar guys crowding the Farris wheel. I looked up and saw Taren riding with a mysterious brunette boy. It's the same men from the airport and they thought Taren was me. Without saying a word, I bolted for Orlando's car. Those men would stop at nothing to get to me and I didn't want Orlando to get hurt.

"What's wrong with you?" Orlando asked as I ushered him to the car. I couldn't keep this a secret anymore.

a/n

Thanks for reading and voting!

xoxo, Leah.