Chapter 14

Gauri was getting ready for the day in her room, moving about like a zombie. She had a restless night yesterday and woke up to the voice of her mother yelling at her that it was past seven and she needed to come down for breakfast. It was rare that she slept past six at home because her mother was relentless in making sure she does not forget her healthy habits.

She was dressed only in her blouse and saree petticoat and was draping a saree when Pinky entered her room only to exclaim.

"Oh my maata... Gauri... you did not lock the door? What if someone else had come?" she scolded her daughter.

"Maa... the bottom lock of the door turned rusty... if I lock it once I struggle to open it again and the lock above the door is too high to reach... anyways no one will enter without knocking except for you.. don't fret" she casually said continuing her work.

"Hmm.. you look tired... what happened? Everything okay?" she asked as she helped her tying the threads of her blouse.

"Yeah... I am okay... had a nightmare last night... not a peaceful sleep maa" she explained and Pinky frowned.

"That is why I ask you to do pooja daily... all these bad thoughts won't touch you. Shankarji will look after everything mera bacha... don't worry" she said and kissed her daughter's cheek.

"Why did you come anyway? Did you want something maa?"

"No... I just came to see what is taking you so long to come for breakfast... Radhika ji is also downstairs waiting for you" she informed and Gauri looked at her worried.

"Omkara? Is he also there at the dining table?" she asked her mother.

"Daamad ji hai... Omkara kaise bulati hai... Omkaraji bolo( He is my son-in-law...Why are you calling him by his name? call him Omkaraji)" said Pinky making Gauri roll her eyes.

"He doesn't like me calling him Omkaraji maa..."

"Offo... you asked us not to call him daamadji because he doesn't like to be called so and now you say he doesn't like being called Omkaraji too? What else should we call him?" asked Pinky frowning and Gauri laughed at her mother.

"Maa... you are so cute" she said pulling her cheeks and Pinky pulled her hands away..

"Dhatt.... First tell me what he wants everybody to call him" she asked seriously.

"He doesn't have any problem with you calling him Omkara.... He only asks me not to call him with respect because we have been friends for a while before I became busy with work. He feels weird.. that's it maa... I call him Om"

"Om" said Pinky as if testing the sound and smiled "Sounds good... can I also call him that?" she asked and Gauri again laughed.

"You can ask him yourself in a few days... now let us go downstairs" she said pulling her mother along.

******************************************************************************************************

Omkara tried not to look in his mother's direction but it is hard to ignore her when she stared at him so lovingly.

'What does she want now... new drama?' he couldn't help but think negative when it came to his mother. Shivaay was sitting beside her. Shouldn't she focus her entire attention on her loving son? Where is this love for him coming from all of a sudden?

"Omkara...have this too" said Kalyani serving him another paratha and he smiled at her.

"So Shivaay... you didn't tell us about Anika... how is she?" asked Shakti and Shivaay glanced at Omkara before answering "She is fine papa... she is working in one of Oberoi offices. I asked her to take the charge of the Pune branch"