Chapter 9

"Wait...wait...wait!!!" screamed Kaali running towards the entrance and Gauri halted in her steps scared, while Rudra looked alarmed.

"What happened Uncle" asked Rudra while Gauri gaped at the elder man.

"She is entering my house for the first time... Let me invite her in properly" said Kaali making them roll their eyes.

"What next uncle... will you do her aarti now and she will enter kicking a pot of rice?.... If O sees it he will run for the hills" said Rudra making Gauri chuckle... "Where is he by the way? Are we early for the party?"

"No... I sent him out to bring some essentials, so that he won't yell at me for welcoming my bahu properly" Kaali said grinning looking at Gauri and making her blush.

"What are you going to do uncle?" asked Rudra again.

Kaali brought a piece of white cloth and spread it on the floor beside a plate containing golden colored paint. He asked Gauri to step on the paint first before stepping on to the cloth and she obeyed smiling at him.

Once Kaali is satisfied with the print, he picked up the cloth and asked them to come in while he entered inside a room. Gauri and Rudra followed him closing the entrance door and peeped into the room only to gasp in wonder.

The room was filled with stunning portraits of various themes. Some of them had beautiful sceneries while some had mosaics of modern art. Some canvases had faces showing various forms of expression...of which Gauri could tell that pain was the most prominent one. Some were bright colorful, exuding life while others seemed to be dark shadows of past and pain.

"Welcome to my art room" said Kaali making Gauri turn to him.

"Wow... uncle... there are many new paintings that I haven't seen the last time" said Rudra smilingly.

Kaali rolled his eyes "That was a year ago Rudra... you doctors barely have time for artists like me..." he said while Rudra looked guilty.

"Sorry Uncle... I promise I will visit you more often... your son keeps me on toes...he doesn't have a life and doesn't let me have one" he said accusingly and Gauri nudged him scowling.

"Ha... ye dekho... your bahu doesn't allow me to even complain against your son" said Rudra and Kaali laughed aloud.

"He just wants you to learn more cases Rudy" she said and Rudra huffed. She then turned to Kaali "I knew you were an artist but I didn't expect this level of excellence Uncle... Om always says you are wasting your talent and now I know why"

"It is just a hobby Gauri... I sketch memories and paint emotions... This is my personal abode and I don't want to exhibit any of these... I am a private person too who does not wish to put up my life story to others for entertainment" he said "Now I am going to make a painting out of this print of your feet... you can see for yourself how beautiful that memory will turn into" he winked at her making her smile wider.

Oh...so the introversion comes from him she thought silently.

As she moved to the other side of the room to have look at the painting of a boy around ten years of age smiling as if posing for a picture. She smiled recognizing his features and looked at Kaali for confirmation.

He smiled and nodded his head "This... is my master piece till date" he said as he showed her other pictures of Omkara's childhood. Hidden amongst them, not in direct view was a portrait of a beautiful woman, her smile similar to the one she loved.  

"Uncle who is this?" she asked curiously still looking at the picture and Rudra cleared his throat trying to get her attention. She turned to her cousin who signaled her to keep quite and she knew she must have asked something she shouldn't have.