Chapter 4

"So, you have moved on I see" Ajay drawled lazily, standing behind Gauri, making her jump in her place scared.

After the drama on stage, Gauri excused herself to the washroom where she freshened up a bit and gave a touch up to her tear-stricken face. After ten minutes when the traces of tears and smudged kajal were replaced with a fresh layer of foundation, concealer and golden glitter eye makeup, she looked as fresh as when she arrived at the venue ages ago.

Coming out of the washroom, she decided to stroll in the backyard of the function hall for a bit and touch up her emotions too before she faced Omkara and his dad. She was enjoying the cold breeze which swayed the leaves of the Ashoka and gulmohar trees lining the backyard of the convention hall when she was rudely interrupted by the person most unexpected.

Gauri turned around swiftly to note her ex giving her a dirty smirk.

"Ajay...shouldn't you be with your wife showing your teeth to the camera?" she couldn't help but retort.

"You look gorgeous today Gauri" said Ajay ignoring her comment taking a step towards her while she reflexly moved backwards.

This night doesn't seem to end... what more was in store for her... she hoped to return to her home in one piece and she desperately prayed for the same to her Shankarji.

"Is he any good?" he asked and she looked at him confused, her mind not getting the insult as it was too preoccupied with thoughts of getting out of there.

"Omkara" he answered for her... "Is he any good?" he asked again.

"What ever happened to 'Ajay...please don't do this to me' ...You moved on fast" he mocked her.

Cold rage burnt within her and she growled out "Why? What if he is? It is none of your business... so, get out of my way... now."

She walked past him when he caught hold of her wrist turning her to him again.

"Your future father in law seems to be quite taken by you already... are your services offered to him as well?" he asked and was answered with a hard slap which will surely leave a print.

Ajay recovered from the slap and looked at her ragingly "How dare you Gauri" he said raising his hand when it was stopped mid-air.

"Haven't you learnt... it is bad manners to raise your hand on a woman to slap her? especially when you very much deserved the one she gave you just now?" asked Omkara taking his hand down and pushing Ajay away as he came to stand in front of Gauri.

"This is between me and her... now get lost from here" roared Ajay and Omkara merely smiled.

"That I cannot do...sorry" he said calmly "There is nothing left between you and her Ajay. If you still haven't got the nick of it, let me advice you. Stop crying over spilt milk and get back to the stage...this is your wedding reception; you are expected to greet your guests and not ambush them"

"You don't tell me what I have to do" Ajay said like a petulant child.

"I can... leave from here if you don't want me creating a scene. Though I would be pleased to have a look at Tanisha's expressions once she knows of your shenanigans, I don't want Gauri to be dragged into this. Don't take my words lightly... You don't know me yet" he threatened as calmly as ever.

"I will see you later" said Ajay and left the place cursing and only then Omkara turned to Gauri who still looked scared.

"Are you okay?" he asked her worriedly.

Gauri desperately needed to vent out her grief, frustration and disgust. When she saw Omkara looking at her in concern, she selfishly seeked refuge in him not caring of the consequences, or repercussions of hugging a man she knew nothing of except his name. Without a word she hugged him tight making him stumble.