Chapter 34

'Obstacles are

'Obstacles are

put in your way

to see if what

you want is

really worth

fighting for.'

- Unknown

. . .

"What now?" JJ asked, stood on the deck of the Pogue as the group stared out at the lit up mansion that was the Cameron estate. "We just go up to the front door and ask, 'Hey, have you seen John B?'"

"Look, he lives at Tannyhill now. It's plausible." Kie reasoned. "Look, we can play dumb."

"Play dumb?" JJ repeated as though it was the most ridiculous idea in the world.

"It's pretty late." Pope reminded.

"I've got to admit, I don't think playing dumb will work in this scenario." Rip pointed out. She was lying back against the side of the Pogue, Noah nestled in the crook of her arm sleeping.

Kie frowned at her, the dull glow of the lantern they'd turned on casting shadows about her face. "Well do you have any better ideas?" She turned to Pope. "Look, I've never seen John B like that. We should honestly be going to the cops."

"The cops – yeah, and say what, Kie? We're worried about our friend 'cause he's gone off on a rampage 'cause Ward Cameron killed Big John? Like, they're not gonna believe us!" JJ said, exasperated.

"Yeah, believe me, I know cops." Rip interjected. "They go for the easiest explanation first. If we went to the cops with this, especially after everything John B's already got himself into and then he goes and blows Ward Cameron's face off, they're just gonna think he's lost his nut."

"Hey, I see Ward." Pope said from the stern of the boat, a pair of binoculars in hand.

Kie walked the few steps over to him and held out a hand. "Let me see."

She brought the binoculars to her eyes and Pope shrugged.

"Doesn't look dead to me. Let's go home."

"Wait." JJ murmured.

"What?" Kie whirled on him.

"Uh . . . okay. Obviously, Mr Cameron is fine," Pope explained, "and even if John B was here, he isn't now, okay?" Kie pulled a face at JJ. "Plus, I have the biggest, most important moment of my life in six hours."

"Yeah, well, our friend is in trouble."

"I'm in trouble." Pope snapped. "Guys, I haven't been home in three days. My dad's probably put all my shit on the street by now."