Chapter 23

'Today my words are recycled,

my heart is unwilling,

my coffee is black,

and my rage is pure.'

- Elly Belle

. . .

Riptide and JJ walked side by side silently to the front desk of the station but when Rip caught sight of JJ's father and David signing off papers, Rip felt her knees go weak. JJ tensed beside her, his head beginning to fall to his chest.

It was an effort to keep her breathing even, but even then she slipped her hand into JJ's and gave it a squeeze.

He glanced at her in thanks and while she had been trying to comfort him, it was also for herself. She was going to need some form of strength for this.

Their hands drifted apart as they took the last few remaining strides to reach the looming men.

"You two their guardians?" The officer at the desk asked.

Luke shot him a look that promised death. "Sorry to say, I'm his father."

Rip's eyes flickered up to David's and he was smiling at her.

The girl swallowed the urge to empty the contents of her stomach out onto the floor.

"Kid's these days, eh?" David shone that gleaming winner's smile at the policewoman, who couldn't help but return it. After all it wasn't as if the man wasn't handsome. "Always getting into all kinds of trouble."

This was the David Rip hated. The smooth talking charismatic doctor that he once was. He'd only ever put this skin on when he and Rip were around other people but as soon as they were gone . . . the doctor fell away and the ugly truth of him appeared. But at least she could predict that David. She had no idea what the Doctor would do.

"Well, the hearing will be in two weeks." The officer replied. "If either of you fail to show up, you will forfeit your bail. The restitution will be based on the average of three outside estimates. Of the cost of the damaged article."

"Restitution?" Luke questioned.

The officer dragged her eyes away from David's easy going smile to look at Luke. "Pay for what they broke. It's part of the plea. They'll have to pay half each."

Luke threw another glare at JJ.

"And . . . sign right here, please."

Once they both had Luke looked at JJ and ordered him out.