Chapter 13

'Every time 

'Every time 

I slip into the 

ocean, it's like

going home.'

- Sylvia Earle

. . .

"This is empty." Kie said to John B, a look of annoyance on her face. "You took empty tanks."

Rip hadn't moved from her spot at the stern of the boat, but she had unfolded her arms to rest her chin on a hand. The entire boat ride to the marsh, JJ's words kept ringing in her head like a cassette tape stuck on repeat. They'd made no move to talk to one another and for the sake of the others, Rip kept to herself.

So she just sat there brooding and simmering in her anger, wishing that she'd never agreed to get on the boat with them.

It didn't help when she'd found out that John B had stolen diving equipment from his boss. Another thing Peterkin can add to my long list of felonies, Rip had thought rolling her eyes, aiding and abetting theft. It made matters much worse when she had overheard that the entire thing had been JJ's idea. He could never leave anything alone.

Her anger churned in her stomach and she let out a breath, making sure not to make any sound. She hated being angry. The fact that she was angry made her even more frustrated because she was usually such a patient person. She never used to get so angry.

Kie glanced at another dial. "Okay, this one's a quarter full. Enough for one of us."

Pope, perched in the driver's seat with his feet up said flatly, "Love it when a plan comes together."

"Does anybody know how to dive?" Kie asked, ignoring Pope's comment.

Rip heard the silence and figured that Kie had her answer.

"Anybody?" She asked again, trying to prompt anyone to say something.

"It's kind of a Kook sport." JJ replied, making her skin prickle.

Oh so now he was implying that she was a Kook just because she knew how to dive. Rip rolled her eyes. It was an entirely irrational thought, some part of her knew, but she was still mad and Rip became irrational when she was mad.

"I . . . read about it." Pope said, as if that made anything any better.

"Great, Pope read about it, so someone's gonna die." Kie snapped and well, Rip couldn't have said it any better herself.

"Look, y . . . you put the thing in your mouth and breath. How hard could it be?"

Rip couldn't stop the jerk of a silent scoff. Thankfully no one was paying any attention to her to notice. She knew she'd just completely lose her shit if another argument started.