Chapter 24

'The trouble with trouble is,

it starts out as fun.'

- Unknown

. . .

"This is disgusting."

Rip could practically see Kie's nose scrunched up in distaste as she walked through the off white walls of the Carrera household towards her bathroom. Once John B and JJ had set off on their way, there was a heavy feeling that had settled in Rip's chest. So she wondered if Kie might be able to help her out at discovering what it was exactly. Plus it had been a long while since they'd spent any time together, with none of the boys around.

"I know. It's just horrible." Kiara's mother's voice drifted out of the open doorway. "I'm asking you to relax and go to a fun party."

"If you ask me I'd rather go and wallow in the marsh for the evening." Rip smiled as she rounded the corner.

Kie's face instantly morphed into a smile of relief. "Rip! Oh my God, Rip!"

The girl lunged for her and pulled her into a bone crushing hug, that left Rip wincing.

"Kie, I'm alright but I won't be if you don't let me go soon."

"What are you doing here? Weren't your parents pissed?"

"They said what they needed to but I didn't have much to do and I figured that we've not spent any time together for a while without the boys hovering. You're dad let me in but I didn't realise you were in the middle of something, I can come back another time . . ."

"Don't you dare go anywhere." Kie said firmly, her hand circling Rip's wrist to pull her further into the room.

"Oh you two are so dramatic." Kie's mother waved a nonchalant hand as she smiled her greeting to Rip.

Kie rolled her eyes. "I look like a bourgeoisie pig."

In Rip's opinion, Kie did look rather pretty in the simple silk lilac dress. The large lilies that made up her headband could be considered questionable but her friend looked stunning. Even if it wasn't her style at all.

"Will you please not worry about socioeconomic injustice for one night?"

Kie approached her mother. "Mom, people not three miles from here have no power, no running water, and we're going to Midsummers. That's so tone-deaf."

Her mother turned to her as she slipped in an earring.

"Do you know how hard we had to work to get into the Island Club?"