Chapter 38: Cheers

Beginne am Anfang

So many memories of them together were rushing through him as if his life were still flashing before his eyes. While Michael had never felt afraid of death, finding comfort in his faith, he wondered if maybe the experience of losing consciousness and feeling powerless was giving him a new perspective on what was important.

He stood, offering his arm as she shifted her feet until the shoes felt just right. She had transformed from the woman who sat next to him on the floor just a couple hours ago, her face now bright and beautifully painted though her soul still offered the same warmth and sincerity. Again they kissed, forgetting her makeup for a moment as Nicole pulled him closer.

Nicole: Are you sure you don't want to stay in tonight?

Kindly, Michael pulled himself away. Smiling as he ignored her question, he knew he didn't have the strength to lie.

Michael: I have another surprise for you.

Nicole: Michael, you've given me more than enough--

Michael: Close your eyes.

Biting back her smile, Nicole obeyed, then felt Michael's hands pull her to the place she was standing when he first walked in. The air shifted around her until everything became still again. Michael's warm whisper in her ear told her she could look up, revealing her own reflection in the mirror. Michael stood close behind holding a delicate gold chain to her collarbone to finish her look. He grinned watching her reflection gasp and reach to press the metal to her skin as he clasped the ends together.

Michael: There. You look perfect.

Nicole: Oh, Michael, you're spoiling me! I don't deserve all this!

Holding her hips, he turned her until they were facing again.

Michael: I love you, Nicole. I'd give you the world if you let me...

His voice lingered, making her wonder if there was something more he wanted to say. But he didn't. So Nicole just smiled and squeezed his hand.

Nicole: I love you too. Let's go, I'm starving!

With another warm kiss, they were ready to face the night. She was shocked again at the surprise waiting at the curb, Bill standing outside a black Cadillac limousine, patiently holding the door open for the young couple. Nicole was first to receive his firm embrace, causing her to wonder for a moment if they'd ever greeted each other like this before. They'd grown close over the past several weeks through the many drives and mutual commitment to Michael. She hadn't realized how much she missed him. Bill gave Michael a wink and proud nudge as they crawled into the car.

The interior was darkened by the tint of the windows, but Nicole could still make out the red cloth seats beneath her fingertips. The cabin was longer and smoother than the limo he'd brought her in before, reminding her of a cigar lounge with it's luxury and moody-ness. She instantly felt warm as Michael slid next to her and the car rolled out the lot.

Nicole: So tell me about this place you're taking me to?

Michael shrugged, feeling coy.

Michael: You'll see.

He was smiling now, a different man from the one who walked in her door with red eyes. He looked at her, biting his lip as he slid his shades off again and folded the frames into his open collar. An arm stretched across her shoulders as his head tucked to kiss her ear.

Nicole: What are you up to?

Michael: Hmmm?

Nicole: The dress... The jewelry... This car...?