Chapter 36: Sunflower 🌻

Start from the beginning

The door?

Nicole went to the peephole, finally spotting the source of the gentle knocking. A tall man, in a familiar rastafarian hat and faux dreadlocks was hiding his eyes behind dark shades.

She opened the door to see Michael. With one hand behind his back, the other held a single sunflower. It was his favorite flower. They were "happy" flowers, Michael told her once, that symbolize adoration and loyalty and longevity. The way the petals danced in praise of the sun reminded him of the joy he often felt on a bright, beautiful day. Nicole was struck by the vivid golden color and strong stem, especially as sunflowers were now out of season. After a moment that felt like an eternity, Michael offered his hand to her.

Michael: I'm sorry, Nicole.

Nicole accepted his gift, then stood back silently, welcoming him inside. She wanted to hold him, but wasn't sure if that would be okay. Regardless, she remembered her hands were still full of peanuts, so she ran to the kitchen to dump the shells and wash off the salt. Returning, she found Michael still at the door, no longer wearing the hat but his eyes were still protected. She wondered if something was hidden he didn't want her to see.

Nicole: If you're here to break up with me Michael, I--

Michael: No-- no... I don't want that...

She could tell he was studying her. In a way, it felt like she was staring back at a stranger. It'd been a long time since Nicole felt distant from him. Michael seemed to be an open book since the very first night they spoke on the phone. How could these people who knew each other so intimately, now be unable to look each other in the eye? Still, Nicole knew the tones of his voice, the meanings behind the gestures of his fingers and the placement of his stance. Michael was sad, but she believed he didn't want to break up.

Michael: Can we talk?

Nicole went to the kitchen, making them each a cup of tea as Michael settled himself on the living room floor. He watched images of children dancing on ice through the muted television. For a moment he remembered the bitter cold of living in Indiana. The thick snow he had to walk through to get to school. The heavy layers of uncomfortable clothing. The one radiator in the tiny family room they all huddled close to. Holding Marlon as they slept, trying desperately to keep their shivers at bay. Winter was such a pain for him as a child! But these children, the happy ones on the other side of the screen, looked so light and carefree. He wondered how his life would be now if his youth had been like theirs.

Nicole returned, handing him a mug as she sat next to him at arm's length. Looking down, pinching at the petal of her flower, Nicole wondered why he finally stopped by.

Michael: You remember the night I picked you up? We got ice cream and watched the sunrise?

That was a magical night.

Nicole: Of course, Michael.

He looked up suddenly at the sound of his name. Oh, how he missed the way she whispered his name. Her voice was so kind and warm. He remembered that night, parked alone in the car as she made up a bedtime story. A story for him. A story for them both.

Michael: I had been driving around for hours that night... I didn't know where else to go, I was so upset.

He looked down to his hands again, the mug was still scalding hot against the pale skin of his palms, but, in a way, Michael took comfort in that pain.

Michael: I want to tell you something. And it's not an excuse-- I would never expect you to forget how I hurt you... But I hope, maybe, you could forgive me.

It was in the evening, just after dinner time, as Michael and LaToya were playing around in the kitchen. He was dancing and goofing off as she put away the leftovers. It was a happy, normal night. Until Joseph showed up. Joseph was an anomaly in the Jackson house. Some nights he slept there, but most nights he didn't, preferring the lifestyles of his new family. But if ever given the opportunity, Joseph would be glad to speak his mind, still believing himself to be the lead decision-maker, appearing just to bark orders then disappear again. Some days you could ignore him, and like a wounded puppy, he'd hobble off and find a way to entertain himself alone. But some days, days like this one, Joseph was looking for some fun.