One

Here Goes nothing! 

Chapter One

It was 6:30 in the morning with the sky lighting up in bright flames of orange red and yellow, all down the street stood rows and rows of people looking up horrified by the site outside their houses. The adults holding onto the children's hands. Rose stood there looking exactly the same.

With instinct finally setting in as she watched the colours dance brighter and closer, she kicked her feet into gear, turning around swiftly to grab the emergency bag that Rose had in her grasp and begun running for it. The rest of the street continued to stand there silently. Not a noise could be heard, not even breathing as she ran past each house, subsequently past all the people.

They almost resembled statues of people as they had not moved an inch. Rose wandered when the alarm bells would go off in their head if they ever would. This was what all the training everyone over the world went through was for.

Making sure she kept her breathing even; she saw the forest appear on the horizon. It was starting to be engulfed in the heughs of colours burning up the sky; Rose began pumping her legs faster. Sprinting as fast as she physically could hoping that she would reach the safe zone on time. The hut was getting bigger and bigger as she ascended into the bare, knarled dying field.

Giving a quick sigh of relief shoulders slumping slightly from exhaustion, she slowed to a fast jog reaching the entrance of the hut within minutes. Grabbing the round door handle Rose yanked the door open with all the strength left in her body, throwing herself into the room and down the open hatch just inside the hut.

Breathing hard she lay at the bottom of the hole not willing to move yet terrified with the events that would soon be happening; she lay there for what felt like an eternity as she started to tear up thinking about all those of her street hoping that they were finally in motion. Rose's mind came crashing back into reality as she heard another person grunt as they dived headfirst into the bunker slamming shut the hatch on the last shreds of the outside world.

The bunker was pitch black; the grey shadow of the human that had just closed the shutter could be seen hovering above Rose. The shadow showed the person was about 5"7 and was moderately slim. Rose scooted over into a sitting position to let the stranger sit down as well; she could hear the shallow breathing positive that they were also unsure what they were meant to do in that moment.

There was a brief pause with the person hesitating unsure if they were to sit as well. The shadow slowly bent to decrease in size as the person sat down next to her. Rose was still facing the unknown stranger when she felt their breath begin to lightly breeze over her face as they turned to precipitate the gaze.

"I hope the others managed to get themselves in one of the other bunkers." There was a brief pause followed by: "There were just so many kids standing there."

Rose jumped slightly at the sound of the deep voice not expecting the sound. With her heart restarting her features softened at the words the stranger whom she now knew was a guy had spoken.

"I know. The funny thing is, we all knew this day was going to come, yet no one else seemed prepared." she replied back.

Just as she finished her sentence bright fiery light spilled out into the darkness for a brief minute illuminating her new companions' features. He had hair that was a chocolate brown and looked as if it would be the softest thing anyone would have touched, He had a strong defined cheekbone with a straight nose, his eyes were the most hazel eyes with flecks of gold the world had ever created. His long legs were folded up to his chest as he hugged them almost as if that would spare them their future. The atmosphere seemed to be vibrating and humming with knowledge.

"This is going to be lasting for a couple of hours. Come on we better go deeper down and see if there were any more survivors in here." At the end of his sentence more flashes of the horrid light broke the surface of the silent bunker.

Nodding her head, Rose began to stand realising that it would have been impossible for him to know that that is just what she had done.

"let's go!" she mustered up as much fake enthusiasm she could give, not having any hope herself that anyone else had made it down with them from the darkness that was surrounding them.

If someone had been present, they surely would've turned the lights on down here so everyone else who may have arrived would be able to see. She sacredly thought to herself.

Taking small steps forward into the never-ending darkness, Rose kept her hands out in front of herself attempting to find the backpack she had taken with her knowing that there was a flashlight present in the bag. "Where is it." She started to talk to herself out loud without it registering she had.

She felt the bumpy sides of the tunnel, the cool earthly metal smoothly running over her tired shaking hands, feeling down the surface she felt a rough object.

"Aha!" Rose half shouted.

Making herself and the stranger whose name was still unknown jump at the unexpected noise she uttered. Roughly tearing what seemed to be the top of the bag, she viciously shoved her hand within feeling around for the familiar shape of the flashlight.

Grabbing it Rose turned it on straight away filling the room with a constant warm glow of hope to light up the path leading them deeper into what would be their new life. Both gave a sigh of relief as Rose started to walk first so that the illuminating light could guide them. The still stranger followed her probably staring into the back of her deep purple hoody that hugged her small frame, with her ash brown hair tucked just inside the hood.

Rose's boots could be heard battering the solid floor below them as they walked into a narrower part of the bunker. Straight in front of them stood tall a silver shimmering door that had clearly not been opened since the bunker had last been used. All glimmer of hope of any other people left her body in that instant, flying back up into the ground that they were under. Rose stood there, still, and unmoving. Not wanting to open the door to confirm her suspicions that she had been correct in her observation.

No one else was here. With this un-bearing realisation, the guy behind her reached around her front to yank open the door. Even with this door open. The only visible light was that of the flashlight she was holding. With it being made into truth, the air around them smelt stale from years apart from visitors. The silent agreement between the people suffocated the air; their loved ones would definitely not have survived the fall of the earth this time.

"There's still hope." Rose whispered hoping the guy had heard.

"They could have made it to the other bunker in time, we don't know until the destruction to the earth is done and we can emerge. We still have no idea if we will even still survive, the piece of earth our bunker is on could be the one that gets ripped off from the planet." Rose felt her breath began to speed up as she spoke the words, panic finally setting a home in her mind.

With her chest getting tighter she felt herself collapse onto the hard-unforgiving floor. Her hand covered her face as she tried to shut out the possibility of all that could happen. Reality finally hitting on how serious this was.