Chapter 7

Back and forth.

From one side of the room to the other, I have been pacing in my bedroom for a few minutes, but it feels like it's been an eternity.

Colin got home 10 minutes ago, and I have not stopped freaking out. I decided last night that we needed to talk, but I have no idea how I'm going to approach him. Am I even ready to hear what he has to say?

I need to know what he says.

With that thought in mind, I sped out of my room and to his bedroom door. Without giving myself a chance to think, I knocked.

In no time, Colin opened the door and was stunned to see me standing there. I didn't wait for him to respond and just asked, "Can we talk?"

"Oh," he said still shocked. "Yeah."

We made our way to a more neutral area, the living room. I sat on one end of the couch trying to hold back my tears while he sat on the other end.

"I know that you moved for your dad's job, but why didn't you tell me? Why did I have to hear it from my parents and not you? Why did you leave without saying goodbye?" I wanted to just jump into the questions.

"I was scared. I knew if I saw you before I had to leave on the plane, it would have broken me. I would have stayed with you. I thought by not saying goodbye in person it would hurt a little less, but I was wrong. It hurt more than I could even imagine not being able to give you one last hug before we boarded. If I had just told you from the minute I found out than maybe we wouldn't have stopped talking altogether."

"I texted you for a month, but you were the one that never responded." I couldn't hold back the tears anymore

"I didn't know what to say. I typed and deleted so many messages, but I couldn't handle the fact that I hurt you, that I was the one that ended the best relationship in my life."

"It hurt," I whispered through the tears.

"I'm so sorry. I knew it would hurt no matter what, but I really thought it would be easier for the both of us to not say goodbye. I was stupid."

I could tell he wanted to reach out and hug me, but he stopped himself. He knew I wasn't ready yet. Instead, I just sat there staring at my hands.

"After I got your text, I couldn't cry. I just sat there on my bed in shock until Keegan came back into our room. She called my name a few times, but I couldn't speak so she picked up my phone that fell on the floor and read your text. I don't even remember dropping the phone," I chuckled at that. "She immediately pulled me into a hug, and that's when it hit me. You were gone. You were gone, and you chose to say goodbye in a text."

"I'm so sorry," he whispered with tears forming in his eyes.

"Eventually, I cried until I didn't have any tears left. During that time, I started to think. I thought about why you did it, and I thought about all the memories we were so excited to make together in high school. When high school finally came, and you still weren't answering my texts, I moved on. I began to make the best memories with Keegan and Macy. I had a great experience, and I hope you did too." I gave a small smile when I finally looked up at him. "From the moment I opened the apartment door to see you, I realized something. I miss my friend."

"What are you saying?"

"I'm saying that I forgive you for leaving and for the text. It may take me a little more time to completely forget it, but I would really like my friend back."