Chapter 16

It's been a week since the date, and I couldn't be happier. Colin and I find every chance we can to spend together, which is not that hard when your roommates. Most nights I even find myself cuddled into his arms as we both fall asleep. I don't think I've ever slept so good in my life.

The only problem I'm having is that I'm not sure if I can call him my boyfriend. We haven't talked about it, whether we still want to go ahead and label it or continue to keep testing the waters. In my opinion, we already know a lot about each other, and there isn't a reason to test things out for too long. I guess I'll just talk to him when I get home.

The one class that I had today got cancelled due to the professor getting sick, and Georgia, my boss, called me in for a one-on-one "meeting." I have no idea what that means, but I hope I'm not getting fired.

I arrive at the gallery a few minutes before the set meeting time and greet Ana, who's working the front desk by herself today.

"Bryn? I didn't know you were working today."

"I'm not. Georgia asked me to meet with her, but I don't know why."

"Really?" Ana asked just as confused. "Let me check to see if she's ready for you so we can find out."

After a few minutes, Ana put down the phone that she was just speaking into and looked up at me with a smile. "She said she's ready for you. Good luck, and you better tell me everything when you come back out."

"Thanks. I will." With that, I made my way down the hall toward Georgia's office like I've done so many times, but this time the hall seems a little longer.

I brought my shaky hand up and knocked on the office door waiting for a muffled "come in." When I finally heard it, I opened the door to be greeted by a smiling Georgia. This has to be good news then, or she's just smiling to make me feel better about getting fired.

"Bryn, please have a seat," she pointed to the two chairs seated on the opposite side of her desk. "I'm sorry to call you in our your day off, but I wanted to talk to you about your art."

"My art?"

"Yes, I think your art would make a great exhibition for our New Artists Program," she explained making me speechless as she opened a folder and pulled out a few pictures of my art.

"I'm sorry." I was finally able to find my words. "I'm a little confused here. How did you get my art? I never submitted it."

"Oh, I guess I just assumed you knew about this. A young man came by, I believe his name started with a c-."

"Colin." I said more to myself.

"Yes, that was it," she smiled. "He gave me this folder and told me that I would be crazy not to consider displaying your work. With that much passion for something that wasn't his own, I just had to take a look."

I stumbled over what to say next, but Georgia's kind smile remained in tact.

"I had no idea he was going to do that. I'm sorry."

"There is no need to apologize." She picked back up a few of the pictures that she previously sat down and laid them out for me to see. "I just want to discuss your portfolio for the event. Now, based off some of these pictures, I can assume this Colin guy put this folder together."

"Yes. I'm currently working on a final portfolio for one of my classes, but these are some of my best works."

"These are all exceptional pieces, but I want you to build off of them for the event. Each artist that is awarded an event needs to have pieces that show who they are. It allows the audience to get a feel for the artist, and gives them a reason to see that your art is worth buying now or in the future, is worth traveling to see or staying updated on your latest work. So, I want you to create a series of paintings, drawings, whatever you would like, that shows who you are as a person and an artist."

"Uh, do you have any examples, so I can get a better idea of what you're looking for?"

"Of course." She focuses her attention on one of my paintings in particular. I painted a picture of the time my dad was teaching a barely walking Noelle how to hold a baseball bat. "You can build off of this picture, which I assume is some sort of family memory, and create a series about your family, growing up, et cetera. This series will be more personal and not up for sale, but we'll also include any other work that your willing to sell. That art will be where you may make some money."

"Okay, do I need to give you an idea today?"

"No, but I would start thinking about it and working on some new art. The event will be held at the end of January, and we're already a few weeks away from Christmas. We're under a bit of a time crunch here."

So, I literally have a month and a half to figure out the theme for a new art series, get it approved, and actually complete it. That's cool. There's no pressure at all.

"I will get started as soon as possible." I smiled trying to hide the worry making it's way through my body.

"I'm so excited for you, Bryn!" Georgia exclaimed jumping up from her chair and rounding the desk. I stood as well as she pulled me into a hug. "Do not worry about the deadline, okay? Just let the artist in you run free, and I will take care of the rest."

"Thank you so much, Georgia. This means a lot to me." I returned the hug.

"Of course, honey. You truly are such a talented artist. It would be a shame not to showcase it."

With a few more parting words and after sharing the news with Ana, I began to make my way home while the smile on my face grew bigger with each step.

As I made my way through the door of the apartment, Colin was also coming out of his room. When he saw me, he smiled, and I felt as though all feeling left my body. There are no words to describe how happy this man makes me.

"How did the meeting go?" He asked, but I chose to ignore his question. I made my way over to where he stood and threw my arms around his neck, bringing him into a hug.

"Next time, make sure to ask before you do something like that," I mumbled into his neck and pulled back a little to look at him.

"I know I should have, but I just couldn't let you pass up this opportunity without at least trying. You're an amazing artist and-."

I didn't need to hear another word before pressing my lips against his. Although surprised, he reacted quickly and brought his hand up to the side of my face as he pulled me closer with his other hand.

"Thank you." I whispered against his lips.

|||

Woohoo!! Another chapter!!

Thank you all so much for reading!

Olivia