Chapter 5

Jacob Latimore as Trevor Danbrook

I walked into Linda's class this morning with nothing but a coffee and my backpack. After greeting Linda, I headed to one of the easels set up in the back of the room, my favorite spot.

"Now class," Linda began once it reached time for class to start, "before getting into the bigger projects, we'll be worker on a little exercise. Today I want you to express an emotion you're feeling onto the canvas in front of you. You may use any style of your liking. I will be walking around in a few minutes so get brainstorming."

After she explained the assignment, I immediately made my way to the long supply table where Linda kept everything organized. The paintbrushes were all sorted by sizes and paint by color. I wish my supplies back at the apartment were as organized as this.

I quickly grabbed the colors I needed, some thicker paintbrushes, a cup of water, and a pallet knife. The minute she said to paint what we're feeling, I already had an idea brewing.

Making my way back to my canvas and setting my supplies down, I went to work. I started by dipping one of the thick paintbrushes into the black color and swept it on. When I got toward the bottom, I added a bit of water to create more of a drip as the paint ran down.

At this point in my life, I'm feeling a mess of emotions. While my other classmates were painting happy pictures or ones of stress, I wanted to show the jumbled mess that is my brain.

With the pallet knife, I scraped different colors onto the canvas randomly. The blue and green represent my sadness and hurt. Red is my anger which I added a big area of. Pink is the indifference I'm feeling while the yellow is the small bit of happiness going on in my life. The white is the unknown because I really don't know what's going to happen. Some of colors did mix themselves together which really shows how the emotions combine sometimes.

"Well, it looks like you're working up a storm of emotions over here," Linda commented as she saw my work

"I mean, why pick one emotion when they're all happening at once," I shrugged and gave a pained smile.

"We are definitely talking after class so you can tell me everything."

Once she walked away to another student, I added some final touches and moved my painting to the drying rack. Everyone else was finishing up too, so it didn't take long for class to end.

Linda dismissed everyone while I stayed back and took a seat in one of the bean bags she had by her desk.

"Now what is going on with you?" She asked as she got comfortable in her desk chair. Linda definitely lived up to that weird artist stereotype. Her hair was always wavy with a headband wrapped around as it reached to her waist. Every class she wore long dresses or skirts, and sometimes even flowy pants. She gave off a little bit of a hippie vibe.

"Too much," I sigh. "First, Keegan moves out to live with her boyfriend. Don't get me wrong, I'm really happy for her, but at the same time this is the first time we've ever lived apart. I know I'll be fine in time, but it just feels so weird not having her in the room next to me. Then, because she moved out, Macy and I are stuck trying to find a new roommate. Luckily, Macy was the one to deal with that, but I don't think it really worked out in my favor."